Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This Is A Test, This Is Only A Test

I am beginning to see that there is definitely a need in blogland for a site that includes sewing projects for the pleasantly plump. Being a person of 'increased' size, I feel at liberty to use such benign terms. I have visited a few sewing blogs lately, all with beautiful pictures of very beautiful women with equally beautiful figures. Very inspiring sites, I might add. However, when the projects shown do not reflect the reality of how plus sized garments look, I am left feeling....unrepresented. I can see there is a need for pictures of real women with real curves, who can hopefully inspire that demographic which has been woefully ignored by the fashion industry. The only pictures you might see are those of professional plus sized models for the major retailers of those garments. Rarely will you see pictures of the everyday women with weight problems modeling her attire. It takes a lot of courage to even step out and be seen in public when you're overweight. It takes courage to face a world bent on criticizing those with weight issues, so modeling would be even more difficult.

Soooo... for starters, why not add a few patterns which I would love to sew and possibly model someday? Like this beautiful Retro house robe. I would use a dress length. I love vintage and retro patterns. Unfortunately, real vintage patterns can rarely be found in plus sizes.


Or this very lovely and feminine dress. The only thing I dislike about this pattern is it can only be sewn in knit or stretchy fabrics. My fabric of choice is usually cotton or linen. But, since I do have a stash of knit fabric, I could definitely work on this.

And then there's this cute jacket, depending on the fabric used, it works for cool weather or warmer weather.

This is just such a practical pattern. It has so many applications, I can see making several useful garments with it. I'd start with one of the tunics and the pants. All of these patterns are in the plus sized sections of the pattern companies.
And there you have it. A plan for the future. Sewing and modeling to inspire.

Thank YOU Gloria for your help in teaching me how to insert text between photographs!


6 comments:

GLORIA said...

YO NO SÉ COSTURAR, NO TEJER!!!
MI SUEGRA HACE LAS DOS COSAS A LA PERFECCIÓN, PERO SU NUERITA LINDA ES UN FRACASO!
YO PINTO EN MADERA COUNTRY, Y MI SUEÑO ES PODER REALIZAR UN CUADRO ALGÚN DÍA.

MIL GRACIAS YAYA QUERIDA POR TUS ENSEÑANSAS CON LA COMPU!!! SOY UNA TONTITA DE LENTO APRENDIZAJE PERO POR FIN LE AGARRÉ LA ONDA.

TE QUIERO AMIGA ♥♥♥

myvintagecharm said...

That's a fant-abulous idea! As a woman with a, a-hem, generous figure myself, I know exactly what you're talking about :) I'd love to see some of your projects- I have that Runway Jacket in my pattern stash, too, I'm planning on getting to it this spring. Looking forward to your future projects!

Tea Time and Roses said...

Yippee!! This sounds wonderful!! As you know I am plus size or as I often refer to myself a "BBW" Big Beautiful Woman! Let me know how I can help in any way ok!! Your are fabulous!! :o)

Smiles...

Beverly

Tracy said...

Wonderful pattern, YaYa! The dress you plan to do in a knit fabric looks like a lot of potential. Knits drap so beautifully on any figure. I must admit to being one of the "smaller" in figure and stature--very petite. But ALL sizes are beautiful, every one is beautiful! So I look forward to seeing what you'll do with the patterns. Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria: gracias por tu visita! Como me gustaria ver fotos de tus proyectos en madera, me imagino que estan hermosos!

MyVintageCharm: Thank you so much for your visit also! I still have to get moving on actually sewing, then I'll see about taking pictures of my projects. I'll try and model them(I think). Hey, it's a scary thought, but who knows, LOL!

Beverly, thanks for your encouragement! I very much want to rid myself of self-loathing, you know? There's beauty in all things created. I will certainly let you know so you can give me moral support to take the plunge and 'model'. You might even be able to share your projects, right?

Tracy: Thank you also for your encouragement and kind words! I can tell you are not a judgemental person, because believe me, society in general sure is when it comes to weight. What's important is to keep on creating, keep on sewing and crafting, keep on sharing our talents with whoever wishes to take the time to stop by. Thank you all for being such good friends!

Persuaded said...

Hey great post! I share your figure issues... I tend to refer to myself as "weeble-esque";) And I also share your love for sewing and especially for vintage styles and patterns. I have several that I am hoping to resize... ah, something to fill all those empty hours, right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music