Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Thursday, May 8, 2008

Spinning




Of all the hobbies and crafts I enjoy, spinning fiber is probably my favorite. There's something so relaxing and ethereal about the feel of natural fibers against the skin. My favorite is mohair with its soft silky texture. Alpaca and merino wool are also favorites, but not as soft. In working with fibers, a spinning wheel is commonly used. I found out about this craft while visiting a
Fiber festival. I had been wanting to buy some hand dyed artisan yarns, and knew this would be the place for good selection. There were a myriad of booths and demos, and I became fascinated with how they turned wool rovings into beautiful yarn. At once I also realized I too could spin my own yarn with the simple use of a drop spindle. It took some practice, but once I learned, I had so much fun! My drop spindles were cheap too, under $15, so for me, that was the way to go. Of course, I long for a spinning wheel, but at around $500, I think I'll wait and save my pennies until I can afford it.

Now, with spinning comes the need for other items, such as a
niddy noddy. Although the name sounds strange and rather comical, it is simply a frame you need for placing your yarn from the the spinning wheel or the drop spindle. It forms the initial skein, after which you can wash and prep your raw yarn. Another item you might find useful is a swift which is used for winding your finished yarn into a skein. Of course, it is also expensive, so instead I use an empty paper towel roll, and proceed to wind my yarn into a nicely shaped ball. You could also use a nostepinne but to me they are still rather costly. The paper towel roll works just fine, you just have to rotate your wrist whilst winding. Spinning, as Ms. Martha says, "It's a good thing!"

10 comments:

GLORIA said...

ES CARO PERO VALE LA PENA!
ADORO LAS MANUALIDADES, EL ARTE COUNTRY ME APASIONA!!!
YO PINTO EN MADERA Y LO DISFRUTO MUCHO, ES RELAJANTE.
BESITOS YAYA

Tea Time and Roses said...

Oh my how exciting! I love this post, and you have so inspired me to spin! I have wanted to try this for a few years but thought it would be way to difficult! After reading your wonderful post, I feel it is do-able... :o) Thank you so much, and thanks for reminding me that it does not have to be expensive from the start!!

Smiles...

Beverly

GLORIA said...

YAYA, SI NO ES MOLESTIA, ME PODRIAS ENSEÑAR A PONER LINKS EN EL POST. YA LO INTENTÉ Y NO PUEDO. TE LO AGRADECERÍA MUCHO!!! PUEDES ESCRIBIRME AL E-MAIL.
GRACIAS!!!

Oiyi said...

Oh, I would love to spin. I couldn't get the hang of a drop spindle. I need a lesson. Yeah, wheels are so expensive and totally out of my budget.

YayaOrchid said...

Oiyi, did you try both types of spindle? There is a bottom/low whorl and a top/high whorl spindle. I have only used the high whorl, and it's really easy. This is a good site for helpful info:

http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/spindle-types.shtml

The Rose Cottage said...

This looks like it would be relaxing too, and I was sooooo into knitting a year ago I almost tried it, then I had a big problem with tendinitis and had to stop knitting for a while. So my stash of yarn sits there just waiting for me to get back to it someday soon.
I did find some beautiful hand spun and dyed yarn when I was in Nova Scotia last year, it is just so beautiful, can't wait to see yours :)

Missy said...

oooh...how lovely! spinning is an art I'd love to try. I think partly so I would have an excuse to purchase sheep ;-)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I wanted to let you know you've won the second bonus drawing...a little surprise. If you could send me your shipping address at springbean(dot)missy@yahoo(dot)com, I'll get your goodie out this week.

blessings,
Missy

Vicki said...

I've never tried spinning but it's on my list to try!

I noticed you love Jane Austin... I've just bought Emma to read over the summer :-)

Tracy said...

This was a fun post, YaYa! I've tried much in the way of crafts, but I have yet to do spinning! I was concerned this might me expensive too...Glad to read of your experience and recommendations! Happy Spinning ((HUGS))

myvintagecharm said...

My sister and I went to a fiber festival and I came home wanting a flock (herd?) of wooly sheep so bad. Luckily I came to my senses!! I love your yarn, it's so pretty and natural colored- Lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music