Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, August 1, 2008

Domestic Style

Living in a hot sometimes humid climate is somewhat difficult for me. In fact, it is the only reason I would consider moving away from this area. Being a gal who can sweat profusely, I tend to avoid being outdoors when the temperatures reach high numbers. Especially when they reach triple digits, as can often happen in my neck of the woods. It is a rather dry environment, but often rather than not, we get stung with such humidity that it makes those high temperatures reach dangerous heat indexes. I love to be outdoors tending to my plants, but during the Summer, I stay indoors too much. And I don't like that. Another factor that contributes to my staying indoors a lot, is that I really don't like to wear anything but the most comfortable of clothes outside. In my case at least, that translates to looking frumpy and disheveled. Why? Because if I wear the clothes that I ordinarily wear 'in public', as in when I go shopping and running errands, I would be sweating even more. Those would be my 'dressy' clothes: princess line blouses- amply sized, cotton tops, and denim or chinos capris or pants. Sometimes even dresses will do the job of getting me to go out and about. Then again perhaps it's just my perception. I associate those nicer clothes with being only for going out. I'm afraid I have succumbed to the notion that to stay cool and comfortable I must wear flowing breezy tunics, scrubs, and shorts. Housework and gardening can really work up a sweat. So I set forth to sew for myself a whole plethora of tops based on a Simplicity pattern which is now out of print, but is similar to this: http://www.butterick.com/item/B6601.htm??tab=large_sizes&page=3. This Butterick pattern shows a dress style, but the Simplicity version also had a view of a much shorter top, with same exact construction. Note the HUGE pockets! That is the one feature I felt I absolutely needed to carry out my chores around the house. I also included in my domestic wardrobe basic hospital scrubs, both the top and pants. I had a ball selecting bright colorful cotton prints. However, I think the time has come for a change. I need to infuse my style with something more feminine but still comfortable.

Which brings me to this post. I would love to know what types of clothes other women wear to feel comfortable but confident around the house tending to their duties. By confident, I mean that you wouldn't hesitate to answer the doorbell wondering if you looked presentable. I do like to sew for myself, and enjoy using cottons and linens in my fabric selections. I probably should narrow my search for Summer styles. Winters here are very mild and comfortable, so heavier fabrics would be fine. It's never freezing cold, and if so, only for a very short while. I know there is a 'look' for me somewhere. In fact, I'm already leaning to wearing vintage housecoat dresses with a beautiful apron on top. M-U-S-T B-E-G-I-N to cut out and sew my vintage patterns! For now, I am still in search mode.

13 comments:

glorv1 said...

YaYa, how creative you are. I sew a little, but nothing ever come out right. You know you mention scrubs, hey those are comfortable. I buy my scrubs at Walmart for cheap. I only buy the pants, and all of them are colorful. I wear them all the time, especially for exercising. Post a picture of what you decide to sew for yourself, it should be interesting. Have fun sewing. Look forward to seeing your creation. Take care.

Amy said...

Hi YaYa:
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog, Home Acre. As I'm reading your blog, I cannot believe this coincidence...the dress pattern you link to is one I made not even a week ago (the v-neck version). I have had it a while and needed a cool dress to get me through a funeral. I made it in a darker calico and it turned out great, after I altered it (originally it was a way too big). Anyway, I love your blog and have added it to my favorites. Have a blessed day.
Amy

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria: yea! I'm back! I guess it was some sort of blog glitch that happened yesterday. I too enjoy wearing scrubs, and I wish I could buy them at Walmart, but I don't think I've seen any in plus sizes. So I make my own. As soon as I sew up some stuff I'll post about it. :)

Amy: Hi! So nice of you to stop by! I've never made one with the v-neckline. I made all of mine with the rounded one. It is a VERY comfortable pattern, isn't it? :)

GLORIA said...

YO NO SÉ COSTURAR NADA DE NADA! EL PATRON QUE NOS MUESTRAS SE VE MUY FRESCO Y FEMENINO, Y CON TELAS ALEGRES DE ALGODÓN SE VA VER DIVINO Y FRESCO.
TE CUENTO QUE EN MÉRIDA LA GENTE USA LOS HIPILES, SON PARECIDOS AL MODELO QUE NOS MUESTRAS, TAMBIEN DE ALGODÓN, Y CON BORDADOS DE FLORES MUY LINDOS. MI MAMÁ LOS USA MUCHO, SOBRE TODO EN MAYO POR EL EXAGERADO CALOR!!!

OJALÁ NOS MUESTRES FOTOS DE TUS VESTIDOS NUEVOS Y TU COMO MODELO!
BESITOS YAYA, QUE PASES UN LINDO FIN DE SEMANA ♥

glorv1 said...

Ya Ya, remember your page was crashing? I read on another blog that if one is using sitemeter that your page may crash because they added something to it? I read it on brenda and roys blog. Maybe you should look into it. Talk to you later.

Tracy said...

People would be surprised to see me if they rang my door bell...LOL! No it's not that bad, but ultra casual is my look for at home, and I'm at home a lot. Mostly jeans and t-shirts, shorts on very hot days. But I like my t-shirts colorful and pretty, so I try to inject some femininity there with cut of shirt and color. Socks or house slippers. I don't sew much in the way of clothing, as I'm quite petite and most commerical patterns don't fit me well, and I'm not always clever enough to make over the pattern. This was a fun post, YaYa! Stop by and see me if you can, as this week I'm having some gift giveaway fun! ((HUGS))

Wool Winder said...

As long as I'm not still in my PJs, I'll answer the door, no matter how sloppy I look.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria: Me has dado una fantastica idea! Luego te escribo un email.

Glorv1: Thank you for helping me out with that. I'm so glad it worked itself out in the end. I think it had something to do with Blogger accidentally marking some blogs as Spam.

Tracy: Your Domestic Style seems very nice and feminine. Exactly how I would dress ALL the time if I could. I can imagine heat waves in Norway are somewhat rare, and nothing like south Texas' extremes.

WoolWinder: Thank you for your visit! Same here, and I do try hard to look 'presentable', LOL!

mexpat said...

I love yoga pants. They're like sweat pants, but a little nicer, and I can go to the store in them. I also like shirts with built in bras. I can stand too many layers in the summer!

Target also has nice, comfy clothing in their beach cover-up section. I still wear a pair of knit gauchos I got there, and a knit skirt.

YayaOrchid said...

MexPat: That's exactly how I would love to dress; something that can work around the house, and in a pinch, if I have to go out, can go in the same clothes. About the bra, interesting you should mention that, since that is probably my biggest hangup. I can't stand to wear bras around the house, also because it makes for too many layers, which make me get more hot and sweaty. So when someone comes over, I'm rushing to get a bra on before answering the door :) Now that's an embarrassing admission, right?

Lisa said...

I'm with Mexpat. Target all the way. I usually wear Target tank tops around the house with shorts in summer unless I am going riding when I have jods on. I too, go braless, but I am less than well-endowed so it doesn't matter much. We live about 30 miles from "town" so if I am going into town I'll put a bra on. Otherwise no way! I also second the yoga pants. Love them.

YayaOrchid said...

I googled 'yoga pants' images, and I do believe they are so pretty and comfortable. But better suited for the younger 'hip' body of a flat-abs woman. I can imagine I would make for an interesting vision of a woman wearing them, LOL!

Zita said...

This is great info to know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music