Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Revisiting an Old Topic

Puffed up and piping hot


The flour ingredients

The "testales" all lined up like little soldiers


Rolled out and ready to cook

Time to turn them


A stack ready to enjoy


Once again I find myself writing about food. That seems to be the topic of all my posts lately. I did want to try something a little different with a recipe I had posted about before. I'd never made whole wheat flour tortillas, so this was something new to me. I did worry the dough would be difficult to work with, as when I've made whole wheat bread. As it turned out, the dough was nice and easy to work with. To me, the taste was different somewhat, a little 'nuttier' and the texture a little 'chewier' than the usual tortillas of the past. The recipe itself remains unchanged, but I did substitute some of the flour with spelt flour. So essentially, these tortillas were made with four cups of whole wheat flour and one and a half cup of spelt flour. Next time, I'm going to try using flaxmeal. Did I mention I love whole flax seed? It has become my favorite snack, and the best way to enjoy it is straight out of the package. Mixing it with plain yogurt is also a nutritious way to enjoy it. My recipe yields about three dozen tortillas. What I do is cook the amount we need for a meal, and place the rest of the rolled out dough between square sheets of plastic sheet dividers, like the ones used to store hamburger patties. I don't know what they're called, but I bought a box from a restaurant supply store. You could also use wax paper. I place them inside a ziplock bag and store in the fridge. When we need freshly made tortillas, all I do is preheat the 'comal' and cook. What could be easier? For presentation, make sure you wrap them in a nice tea towel. I like to use the ones I embroider myself. I should clarify, I didn't hand embroider mine, I used designs I buy and use in my embroidery machine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thats pretty good. I make my own tortillas as well. They taste much better than store bought. I have to read some of your earlier blogs as I have just read the recent ones. I like the way you loaded the photos and included a description. I haven't gotten to that point yet and am still trying to figure out how to load pix the right way. Enjoy your tortillas, I can taste them. Take care. Gloria from Modesto, CA

Persuaded said...

well, i've made my own tortillas before but, truth be told, they've never looked half so nifty as yours do:)

love the tea towel too!

Anonymous said...

In fact I just couldn't resist and went into my kitchen and made the masa. I will either make them later this evening or tomorrow after I get back from exercise. You go girl! gloria

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, thank you for your visit! I sent you an email, hope it helps with the picture loading. :) I'm glad reading this latest post made you want to make tortillas. :)

Diane, well, I'm sure if you made them as often as I do, yours would look the same. I'm glad you thought they look nifty. :)

homespun living said...

Wonderful! These are on my list of things I want to try making myself.
Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi YaYa. Yes I did get your email and I think I got the idea now on how to upload and type alongside. I thank you Miss Cook and by the way I copied you and posted my tortillas and beans. Hehe. Take care. gloria from modesto, ca

GLORIA said...

DE VERDAD QUE TE GUSTA LA COCINA MEXICANA AMIGA!!!

MI MAMÁ ALGUNAS VECES HACE TORTILLAS Y USA UN APARATEJO LLAMADO "MARICONA" PARA APLANARLAS.
HA SI, Y TAMBIÉN HACE EMPANADAS CON ELLAS, MMM

TE FELICITO YAYA, ERES MUY BUENA COCINERA!

PD.- SE ME HA ANTOJADO UNA CALIENTITIA CON SAL Y LIMÓN MMM

BESITOS ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music