Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rainy Day Sewing

Oh, what a delightful and beautiful day today has been! It rained during the night, and then most of the morning and early afternoon. I think rainy days just bring out the best in me. Perhaps that's why it just felt right to finish up a project that was waiting for some finishing touches. It was a dress my M-I-L had cut from a pattern and sewn up the side seams and a facing on the dress, and the side seams and sleeves on the jacket. I think she got somewhat frustrated with the fabric, as it tends to unravel quite a bit. It just needed to be hemmed all around the jacket and sleeves as well as the sleeves on the dress. It really did look almost hopeless to me. I thought I surely could not make it look any better, and hesitated sewing on the fabric. But then, I had what to me, amounts to a stroke of genius! I took out some seam binding from my stash and decided to try it! Boy, I've never used something as simple as that, but let me say, it simplifies hemming and just gives such a wonderful 'finished' look to a garment. I can't sing its praises enough! I wasn't sure how to apply it, but I assumed it was pretty much like using bias tape. I also did some finishing on the seams with my serger. I know I really need to take some sewing classes, because everything I know, I just know from reading. I'd love to be taught by someone in a classroom environment. I just know there's lots of little tricks of the trade that I'm missing out on using and which would make my sewing so much better and more fun. It goes without saying that what I know about the use of my embroidery machine is also self-taught. I was supposed to take some user classes, but being that we live almost 3 hours from where we purchased the machine, it just never came to be. So for about four months the embroidery unit sat on a shelf, as I was afraid to take it out, afraid it might break. Until finally, I took a deep breath, and like the Nike commercial says 'just do it', so did I. Reading up on sewing and embroidery on the internet helps a lot, but I know there are techniques which can't be taught adequately unless you see them in person.

Which brings me back to the dress; I felt a little embroidery couldn't hurt and would certainly serve to embellish. Plus I wanted to surprise my M-I-L and make the dress as nice as possible.

This is a 'before the embroidery' picture; "Mona" is a wee bit smaller than the dress, so the dress may look off-balance here:


Now, with a simple peacock design in matching colors

An overall shot of the dress on my dressform "Mona". BTW, Mona is a gift from a dear, sweet friend who bought her at the flea market. Thank you, Norma!


Now all I need is to add a pretty vintage clasp which I've ordered online. It should help keep the jacket front in place should she want to close it. A little bit of ironing should take care of any wrinkles. I can hardly wait to present the dress to my M-I-L! I hope she likes it.

No baking today, but sewing is almost as nice!


12 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
You remind me of my sister Suzy. She lives in the Chicago area and when she comes down to Mexico to visit us we have to go around to all of the fabric stores so that she can load up with stuff for more sewing projects. She learned to sew just like you did...by sewing :)

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you for your comment, Bob! Interesting you should mention that. I've always assumed fabric was a ALOT more expensive in Mexico. I know that sewing and embroidery threads are much less expensive, and that a lot of the yarns used in knitting and crochet in the USA are made in Mexico, and therefore cost less there. But fabric I think is different. Well, perhaps deep in the interior, as in where you are (Irapuato) things are better than the border cities.
Tell your sister to share some pics of projects she's worked on so you can post them on your blog, LOL! :)

glorv1 said...

YaYa, that is a very nice dress. It reminds me of a project I had in a sewing class way back when. The material I chose was the same color and satin, would you believe. I made a skirt and a bolero type jacket. I don't know how I did it, but it came out okay. I think Mona is really going to like it. You did a good job. Take care.

glorv1 said...

yaya, I think I did what you did to my blog. I lost everything trying to change and now I don't even have layout. I am going to have to start a new blog.How did you get yours back?

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, that is exactly what happened to me when I was trying to change the look of my blog. What you have to do now is open up with Firefox browser instead of Explorer. If you don't have it, I think you can download it free. Then just go to your page and you'll be able to retrieve your old template when it prompts you to 'update' template. Hope you get it working, cause without 'layout' there isn't much you can do except start a new blog. But try it, I'm pretty sure you didn't lose your old template. You just have to find it again.

Not So Glamerous Housewife said...

Ya ya, thanks for stopping again. I am new to blogging for myself. I did a little food blog for a while that got picked up by a newspaper so I became a bit of a blogging professional by the time I was done. Now I am just doing it for me and I hope others enjoy the ride as well. As for your sewing post. I just spent the morning making 5 aprons to try to sell on Etsy. I've never used the website before but I hear good things. Once again I really enjoy your blog and will be by again very soon.

YayaOrchid said...

NotsoGlamourousHousewife: I would love to see your Etsy page and those aprons! Hope you post the link on your website.

Anonymous said...

yaya, I d/l firefox and my site is back. Thank you very much and I went back to I/E. Thanks again.

Amy said...

Your work on the turquoise dress is lovely, YaYa. Your MIL will be happy, I think. The rain is good for many things, including inspiration!

Tea Time and Roses said...

So happy you had a lovely sewing day! There can be something relaxing and wonderful about a quiet rainy day. What a pretty dress, and the embroidery gave it a lovely finishing touch! You truly have been gifted to do so many wonderful things! :o) Enjoy your week my friend!

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Amy and Beverly, thank you for saying such nice things! I agree, the rain inspired me to work somehow. I think it was also that it cooled the day down, and it's more comfortable to sew when it's cool.

Tracy said...

It is beautiful, YaYa!! Your embroidery addition makes it all the more dazzling...great fabric, great color...No doubt your MIL will love this creation, and be happy wearing it. Wonderful! Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music