Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Thursday, September 25, 2008

Guava Season

A lot of the blogs I enjoy reading have featured their Autumn harvests of yummy apples, pumpkins, squash, and a host of other beautiful foods. Of course, I can't grow a lot of those things in our south Texas heat, but we can grow some tropical fruits. In our back yard we have a huge Guava tree which was a gift from my Abuelita. Guava season is upon us! Over the past few days the fruit has been steadily ripening and has perfumed the yard with its delicious scent. For some reason, this was a good year for the tree. It's been a while since it produced so much fruit. I think that because last year we got a goodly amount of rainfall, and recently as well, it made for an increased harvest. One thing I like to make is guava jam. I think I'd characterize it more as guava butter. So, I will be making that tomorrow. Today, I gathered some fruit and after washing thoroughly, I proceeded to scoop out the flesh for the first stage of preserving. Aren't they amazing? The whole house smells of guava or 'guayaba' as they are called in Spanish.





We also enjoy the fruits of the area pecan trees. We do have a large pecan tree, and it produces nuts, but the 'chinches' or stinkbugs get to the fruit, and so it seldom has edible fruit. We don't spray the tree because it's right above our koi pond. I also enjoy harvesting all the little 'volunteer' chile plants which produce these tiny little peppers called 'chile piquin'. We've seen mockingbirds eating these spicy little berries, so we figure we have the mockingbird to thank for spreading such goodness around! And then there are the pomegranates which do grow in our area as well.


I will also be making pumpkin empanadas. But first I'll have to buy the pumpkins at the grocery store. This time of year is just amazing! It gives me so much hope and so many wonderful things to look forward to!

7 comments:

glorv1 said...

Can you believe I'm still awake? Well I am. Those guavas are just like you described on phone. I hope that tree lives forever since it was from your Grandma.We are also getting the pecans from the neighbors that fall in our yard but they are small and just start rerooting and they are hard to pull out. Aren't those chili pequins good? Ours are just like yours and they are easy to dry and then you can crush them in the molcaquete. I think that is how you spell it. Sounds to me like you are feeling better, thats good to hear. Guava jam sounds good, I made apple mint jam today. Take care and great post.

Missy said...

How sweet about the tree from your grandma. I don't think I've ever had fresh guava...but guava jam sounds delish.

The aprons are usually $30...so the $15 is already half off. I'd be happy to sell one to you for the $7 though. Just let me know which one and I'll pull it for you. :-)

Wool Winder said...

I bet your kitchen smells good!

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria: I'm feeling lots better, thank you! Glad the harvest continues in your neck of the woods!

Missy: Thanks for getting back to me. Not to worry, I already went and bought one at your $15 sale price. I'm glad you updated and included the retail price. Now it shows regular $30, before I thought $15 was the regular price.

Traci: The whole house smells of guava! The minute you step in, it's heavenly!

Kelli said...

Mmm....your house must smell wonderful! Enjoy!
~Kelli

glorv1 said...

Have you noticed how I took my picture off? I added my tennis instead. Pretty neat, huh? I stopped by to tell you that yes I think I have tried Migas. Kind of chilaquiles w/o the eggs. Take care and I wait on the delivery. I'll let you know when it gets here. Have a great weekend.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I really still don't know what the difference is between chilaquiles and migas. Maybe they're the same thing?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music