Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Knitting Sort of Day

I received a couple of emails asking about our welfare what with hurricane Ike's shenanigans in the state. I thank you so much for your concern. We are in an area pretty far removed from the coast. Ike was huge, though, and understandably, it would seem his reach encompassed the whole state of Texas! We were hoping for some rain, but it was not to be. Hence, we are once again in the throes of Summer heat. We do have lots of humidity, though! For all our discomfort, it is nothing compared to what everyone who stayed and didn't evacuate is suffering. Power outages, no water or sewer service, it's a terrible time to be near the coast right now. Our prayers go out to all those affected. We can only pray everything goes back to normal soon.

On another note, I've been keeping myself busy by knitting up dishcloths! I made just a few for my kitchen. I think I'll stop on that until I find more colorful cotton yarn. I did have to resort to using a cotton blend, aka Aunt Lydia's brand in a linen color. The yarn is rather thin, so the one dishcloth made with it turned out less fluffy than the ones made with 100% cotton. I love the color of linen though! Regardless, I know they'll all come in really handy. Now if I could only convince myself that it's ok to actually use them! They look so pretty all clean and fluffy. Imagine how they'll look once dirty dishwater gets on them. Or maybe I can just use them for wiping down the counters?


On my knitting needles is another Acorn Hat. It's coming along. Hope to finish it before Fall is over. The colors are so autumnal, although it works for Winter as well. I don't know what it is about this time of year, it just puts me in a knitting mood! I stepped outside earlier, and let me say this, it was HOT! Being inside though, with the coolness of the central air system, I can fancy myself smack dab in the middle of Winter.


As I'm writing this, I hear the rain beginning to fall. I am so happy! The loud clap of thunder sounded heavenly also! My Dearest says it's pouring!

Praise the Lord!!


9 comments:

glorv1 said...

Yes, glad all is okay. We do hope for the best for all affected by Ike. The dishcloths are very nice, I never seen any knitted dishcloths. I like the colors and I see the acorn hat as sprung. What a joy. You remind me of my friend Sandy, that whenever this time of year rolls around, she pulls out all her baking pans from her pantry and starts the baking process. I usually make bread. This year I am going to make rosemary bread, sage bread, with the herbs I have growing outside. Have fun with your hobbies and I will talk to you later. Use your dishcloths, thats what they are for. Rock on!!

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, when it really does get cooler, I usually go into baking mode. I love to warm up the kitchen with an oven full of bread or pastries! I love baking, but it's just too hot for that right now.

Keri said...

I would hate to use the dish cloths too. They are so pretty! Excellent work!

Wool Winder said...

Great job on the dishcloths. If you can't bring yourself to use them for dishes, why not use them as washcloths. A hand knit washcloth is a treat to use.

YayaOrchid said...

Traci, I think I will use one of them as a washcloth to try it out. The rest will be for the kitchen. I'll be making some more for sure!

Our Red House said...

I love your dishclothes. I knitted a couple on the diagonal last year and they have lasted brilliantly. I find it hard to find cotton yarn that is thick enough too.

Kate

YayaOrchid said...

Kate, I found that Walmart carries a good assortment of cotton Peaches and Cream brand yarn. They even have large cones, but those are in variegated colors or white. You can't really appreciate the texture with variegated yarn. I don't guess there are Walmarts in Australia, though.

Lisa said...

Glad Ike left you unscathed. My BIL and family had to evacuate and still cannot get back in. They are in Galveston.

I am hoping my knitting mojo comes back soon! You are inspiring me!

Tracy said...

Hi, YaYa! So very glad to know all is well with you, and you are safe from Ike! I was wondering how you were when it all was happening...We're just back from our vacation--had lovely time!--and now getting over jet lag--LOL! Your knitting is wonderful...And be brave, use those pretty dishcloths! ;o) With fall in the air, my knitting needles are itching to create! Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music