Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sugar Ramblings

With my Husband's encouragement, I weaned myself from a very addictive habit of drinking 'soft' drinks. More specifically, uber-sugary sodas. I probably enriched the coffers of the "Cola" empires more than any trader on Wall Street ever did. I know I certainly contributed more than my fair share to the canned aluminum industry. And addicted I was. I couldn't see beyond having my 'fix' of Coke or RcCola every time I got thirsty. Which begs the question: Why hasn't anyone questioned why an innocent looking drink would be addictive in the first place?

With diabetes a health risk in my family, I feel relieved that I was able to alter a harmful behavioral pattern. So, for about the past five years,now all I drink with my meals is unsweetened water with lime juice or unsweetened tea.

Having said that, is it just me, or has anyone noticed that chocolate candies are more and more becoming less chocolate and more sugar? I used to buy chocolate candy like anyone else when I wanted a sweet treat. But now, I think manufacturers are doing a number on candy consumers. I'm fairly sure sugar is cheaper than real cocoa, so my theory is they are plumping up their profits by giving us less of the real thing and more of the 'filler' thing. Oh! And I do wonder if sugar somehow also has addictive properties.

I suppose companies think consumers are naive and uninformed. I for one saw the documentary where they showed how manufacturers put less of a product in a container made to look the same as what the original packaging looked like, but somehow altered to contain less. It's all about the bottom line, they say. That doesn't make it right. So when did we as consumers lose our rights? I don't proclaim to have the answers, but I will say this, I'm seeing what they're doing....and I'm not buying it anymore!

6 comments:

glorv1 said...

I remember you commenting in early spring or so that you had given up soft drinks. I still drink them from time to time, the diet ones, but they too are addicting. I think we all know that we get hooked on things so we are the ones that have to control our intakes. I really never noticed that about the candy, but everything we eat is modified some way or other. Go on a veggie diet. I am going to try to do that. I don't know when but I will. I'm sick of eating meat, after all when you think of it, it is just DEAD MEAT that we are eating. Can you believe that....DEAD MEAT I repeat. Take care.

GLORIA said...

NO SOY AFECTA A LOS REFRESCOS DE COLA, YO SOY ADICTA AL TE O NESTEA, Y POR SUPUESTO AL CHOCOLATE! SI ME HE FIJADO QUE CADA VEZ SABE MENOS A CACAO, DEBES DE CUIDAR TU AZÚCAR EN TODO MOMENTO YAYA, BESITOS

Wool Winder said...

I suppose they could keep the product the same and raise the price instead. Maybe they feel this works out better.

Deborah said...

Congratulations on dumping the soda addiction! Good for you!

Hugs,
Deborah

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
You are my leader. I usually drink two cups of really strong coffee in the morning with lots of sugar. This morning I gave it up for tea with no sugar. Now if I can only keep this up for about two weeks I think I will be able to stick with it. Thanks for the challenge :)

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, sometimes the good stuff is just too darn expensive unless you grow it or raise it youself. These days it seems like vegetables cost more than meat! I'm exaggerating, I know.

Gloria, ya se. El diabetis es tan comun en nuestra gente.

Traci, that is exactly what they claim their rationale is. To keep from raising prices.

Deborah: Thank you! Now if only I could control my weight. :(

Bob: I should probably clarify. I didn't stop using sugar altogether. In fact, one thing I do indulge in is a coffee mug with one tsp of sugar and coffee mate every morning. Gotta have it! And I do enjoy 'pan dulce' from time to time with coffee. Mexican pan dulce just goes so good with coffee. It's just a good thing I don't have a sweet tooth. I rarely eat sweets. But if you're overdoing the sugar and coffee, then I'm glad you're trying to cut back on it. And it only takes about 4-5 days before you get used to it. Afterwards, you'll find that most things are TOO sweet.

It's the excesses which can get out of hand, IMHO. Like they say, everything in moderation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music