Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Thursday, October 9, 2008

Molcajete Curing Link

I just wanted to add a little bit more to my previous post on molcajetes.
Bob of Mexico Bob blog fame suggested sharing more info on the curing process. Excellent request! As it happens, I have found several methods, the more common one being to grind uncooked rice in the mortar several times and then rinsing each time until the water runs clear. I did also find this site which lists a few more methods. Makes for a little bit of interesting reading. They also offer a few models, though they are a little pricey. Of course, I haven't shopped for a molcajete in quite a while, so I don't know what the going rate is if purchased in Mexico.

Again, I have to reiterate that while making a hot salsa in a blender is an easy and convenient and certainly inexpensive way, there is just no comparison to the taste and texture of one prepared in a molcajete. It does involve a little more 'elbow grease', but it is so worth it!

2 comments:

glorv1 said...

That's exactly how I cured mine. I am going to start looking for more molcaquete's at yard sales, etc. Thx for sharing.

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
I have a very nice molcajete in the form of a pig. At the time I bought it several years ago it cost 120 pesos. I think you could buy a new one today for about 15 to 20 dollars. By the way, my wife Gina says that your grandmother's molcajete is worn down so much that it shows just exactly how very much she loved her family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music