Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Thursday, October 9, 2008

Of Ancient Lava Rock

My little molcajete collection needed a thorough dusting, so I took it out from the kitchen book cabinet. I seriously need to add the 'pig' molcajete to the set. I'd also like the 'bull' shaped one. Of course, most of these are just decorative. The only one I actually use is the small one in the middle.

You can see how dusty they get! The rectangular one on the left is called a 'metate', and for it to be a 'working' model it would probably need to be a bit larger. My Grandmother used to describe grinding corn on a metate back in the days when everything was made at home!


I love that they come in all shapes and sizes.



And this is my valuable and trusty molcajete. It has great sentimental value to me because it belonged to my beloved Abuelita! It's also the only one I use. In it I grind cumin and garlic. Funny how spices seem to come alive with flavor when ground on a molcajete. Must be something about the basalt rock that interacts. I need to get a much larger one for grinding jalapenos and tomatoes. You'd think by now I had one for that. I don't know why I haven't just gone to buy one yet. Salsas made in a molcajete are divine bliss! Nothing in the world compares to the flavor. The large one in the photo above is pretty much useless to me. I've tried 'curing' it with several different techniques I've read about, but nothing works. It still releases a lot of grit and sediment. It's kind of like cast iron pots, you need to cure them, but once you have a well seasoned one, it will give you a lifetime of use. Must make a shopping trip to Mexico for a big molcajete!


3 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
Perhaps you could expand on this and tell us about how you cure a molcajete. I used rice on mine...and elbow grease. It took a lot of both :)

glorv1 said...

Oh your molcaquete's are so like mine. It so nice to have them, I know how you feel. I posted about them a few posts back. You can cure them with rice like Bob says and the little metate I'm sure is usable for chili as well. Just cure the ones you want to use. Nice ones, though. Take care.

Wool Winder said...

That's a great collection! We have one molcajete. It's was used and already cured when we got it. We used it for a time, but not much anymore. You're inspiring me to get if off the shelf and dust it off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music