Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, October 10, 2008

Preserved Fruit

Sometimes it's very hard to come up with ideas to blog about. I wish I could blog every single day just to flex my writing muscles. Chores, commitments, and sometimes just being lazy can get in the way of that. So when a fellow blogger suggests a topic in a comment, I say "Why not?"

A while back we harvested an awesome amount of guavas from our tree. I posted about it
here. I would have liked to show the whole process, but as time constraints dictated otherwise, I simply touched on sharing photos of the fruit. I actually spent about five hours just processing the fruit to remove the seeds. Guava has an inordinate amount of seeds! I must find some kind of gadget which will dispense with that chore in a timely fashion.

The actual canned fruit ended up being stored in the freezer. After reading on another blog that regular canning jars could be used, I decided I would try that. I was fortunate to find some Ball brand jars which are freezer safe in our grocery store.


A closeup of this delectable jar of fruit. This photograph is of the jars inside the freezer.


I found that yes, the fruit does taste just as good once thawed in the fridge, and the texture did not change at all. In the meantime, I'm in the market for a good water bath canner and hopefully a seed separator of some sort. Any hints from anyone would be greatly appreciated!


10 comments:

glorv1 said...

That must have been a lot of work. But look what you got from it. Nice jars of jam that you will have in the winter. Its so much fun preserving like that. I have tomatoes for the year in my freezer, lots of chili's and peaches, apples and it is a joy to be able to reach in your freezer and enjoy. Good work YaYa. Enjoy your jam. Nice pix.

Amy said...

Ooohh, Idalia, that looks good, although I have never tasted guava. Is it used like a preserve or fresh fruit? I just finished another batch of pear honey, this time cooking it less time for a lighter color. I think I like the darker color better. Have a sweet weekend.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I wish I could harvest all those wonderful fruits you mention. Chili's I can do, but not apples. Yes it was a lot of work, but so worth it!

Amy, I usually make it like coarse jam. But this time I ran it through a fine sieve food mill, and it is more of a thick butter. Guava is a delicious and aromatic fruit. In Mexico they make fruit pastes, candies, and jelly with it. It ends up tasting similar to quince pastes and candies. But preserved in a jar such as I did, it tastes exactly like guava tastes fresh off the tree.

Kelli said...

What a wonderful idea and I'll bet your fruit is delicious!
~Kelli

Wool Winder said...

How wonderful that you can have fresh tasting guava all year.

Tracy said...

HI, YaYa! Lovely preserves...I love the taste of guava...but didn't realize HOW much work was involved to even use the fruit. This jam of yours looks delicious...I can imagine some on hot toast, or used in a dessert...mmm...Thanks for sharing ((HUGS))

Angie said...

Any large pot with lid that will fill 2 inches of water over the tops of your jars is a 'water bath' for water bath canning. Save your money and invest in an All American pressure canner. Then the sky is the limit on what you can and can't can. :)

YayaOrchid said...

Kelli and Woolwinder: yes, it is nice to have that tropical taste year round.

Tracy: it is delicous on toast and English muffins! I do also plan to use it on coffee cake batter or pound cake batter.

Angie: I've always been afraid of pressure cookers, and have never owned one. But I will look into the one you suggested. The thing I'm stuck on is the need for a rack so the jars don't touch each other and rattle.

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Idalia!

I just know the end result was delicious! I absolutely loved my grandmother's preserves, and would love to try my hand at it someday! Warm bread with your preserves and nice cup of tea...just perfect!

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Beverly, it's so good to hear from you, sweet friend! Yes, I already had toast with guava jam and a hot cuppa tea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music