Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, October 17, 2008

Vintage Aprons

I've talked about sharing positive shopping experiences before. Again, I really have to give a shout out to two very talented seamstresses/bloggers. I do so because sometimes it's hard to find good quality products at reasonable prices. And partly because I'm what you could call a "wannabe" seamstress. Oh, sure, I love to sew, but so far only for myself and family. I've never taken a sewing class, so I'm less than confident about my sewing skills. Suffice it to say I consider my sewing 'adequate'. So when I saw the quality of stitchery in the items I've purchased from these ladies, I am just so impressed!

By now it's quite apparent that I'm totally into vintage aprons! I've been buying patterns hoping that someday I too may be able to make some pretty ones for myself.
These are just a few of the apron patterns I have.
I know my desk area looks quite chaotic. I can't seem to decide which apron to start with! Must buy ready-made!
That is why I purchased aprons from these ladies and was utterly happy with my acquisitions. Without further ado they are:
Cheri from a Joyful Handmaiden from whom I bought this apron, made from a 1940's vintage apron. I guess I'm just very impressed with how well sewn the apron is even with all the bias binding.....I love bias binding! When I grow up I want to sew just like her!!
Missy from Spring Bean Things from whom I bought this and this. I've also got my eye on this apron with its beautiful big flower detail. The sewing is impeccable!
I am certain you will not find better quality at any brick and mortar store! These ladies know a thing or two about fine sewing. So now I urge you, share your positive shopping experiences! We want to hear about it!

9 comments:

glorv1 said...

I've been to that blog before and I love the vinatage aprons. Yaya you can make them, you at least sew. Today I went and bought myself a Singer sewing machine recommended by Martha Stewart. Heck it was only $99 and it will do the job for the aprons I want to make. Lets do it and have fun with it. Good for you, and good luck with your sewing.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, it made me so happy to hear you bought a sewing machine! Yay!! You are going to love it! And from now on, you will love visiting the fabric store! It's like visiting a candy store for a child. So many colors and patterns! And you get to choose what specific color and fabric you want! It doesn't get any more personalized than that!

Thank you for the encouragement, Gloria. Yes, let's make a goal of sewing up a couple of aprons just for the fun of it! k?

Among the Hedgerows said...

You've collected some pretty apron patterns, YaYa! I hope you'll sew some of them for yourself ... I'd love to see the results!
xo,
Lynda

Beth said...

I'm coming over to visit your apron patterns! WOW! Have you thought about getting a book. Start small. I have a few apron books with 'free' patterns (if you borrow the book from the library they're free). The first apron I made was out of a book. It was a half apron and it was oh so easy. Easy, instant gratification projects are always nice! Beth

Missy said...

Thank you for the kind words about my aprons! I am nearly always wearing one...have gotten a few funny looks when I pop over to the post office or gas station and I've neglected to take them off :-)

best wishes,
Missy

p.s. I lurv the vintage apron pattern on your desk! Make sure to post a pic after you sew it up.

YayaOrchid said...

Lynda, thank you for your visit! I surely will post if I ever get any done. :)

Beth, I have had my eye on a couple of apron books. I think I will visit the Library and see if they have any there. I wouldn't mind a few more patterns!

Missy, You're quite welcome! You deserve only good feedback for your wonderful sewing talent!
As to wearing them all the time, that is exactly what I would love to do! I'd wear them over something really nice and go run errands! Have you read "Mary Jane's Farm" magazine? They've got some neat patterns, but they have to be enlarged.

Wool Winder said...

You bought some gorgeous aprons!

Katherine said...

Hey there!! I am in your SCB Group. Stoppin by to say Hi!! I just purchased my first Apron Pattern, Lila Tueller's Funked Out Apron. Can't wait to make it :)

Abbie Simpelo-Dyer said...

hmmm....a fellow vintage apron lover eh....well....how about a true vintage one from the 30's 40's and 50's? i've got those and i can make a copy for you. I'm pretty sure you'd love it. These were the days before CopyRight rules came into play...so for rule sticklers....I CAN & I WILL MAKE A copy!
Let me know. I just wanted to stop by and leave a message, i'm in your SCB group--that's an adorable grandson you have there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music