Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, November 17, 2008

Almost Like Rhinebeck

It's good to be back to blogging. Feels like I've been away forever, but it was just a little breather. Looks like the old 'puter is in good working order, so of course, I have no more excuses for staying away. While away, I had a chance to do something I look forward to each year. Held the second weekend of this month, we made a trip to the Kid'N Ewe fiber festival held in Boerne, Tx. Located just north of San Antonio, it's a beautiful scenic 'hill country' kind of town. While it's not as large as the annual Wool and Fiber Fest held in Rhinebeck,NY, it does hold its own in vendors and booths. This year, I decided to take advantage of the classes available. I wanted to take several, but since we only stayed one day, I was only able to take the spinning class. I wanted to try firsthand the feel of spinning with a wheel. I've mentioned before that I someday hope to buy one, but since there are so many different models, it's best to try one or two out first. I ended up trying an Ashford and a Jensen. It was so much fun!

But before I took the class, we walked around a bit. We got to enjoy a little bit of fiddle music from this fine ensemble. Very talented group of musicians! It was a beautiful brisk cool day, perfect for enjoying their serenade.


Had to check in on the furry alpacas and llamas. It was fun feeding them their hay.

There was such a beautiful array of fiber and yarn available. This year I opted to buy only fiber. Also made sure I bought some beautiful raw mohair. It's so soft and shiny. I'll have to work a little harder to spin it, but I've done it before. Drat! I should have bought the carders while I was there. Now I'll have to search for them on Ebay.I even bought some flax strick! I'll be sure to have fun spinning some linen yarn.

This young lady was in my spinning class. She sat right across from me. Her wheel is a "Kromski Symphony". Isn't it just a beautiful classic spinning wheel? I liked the lazy kate on the chair next to her.

There was just so much to see, I'm certain I missed some things. This man's wheels were very pricey! His store also makes some excellent wooden spindles. I liked how he was dressed. Very Williamsburg colonial.


And here is the class I was in. The instructor covered all the basics. She has an online site called The Pearly Queen. Great teacher with so much patience!
I wish I lived nearby so I could take all the classes I wanted. There was a workshop offered for learning bobbin lacemaking that seemed so interesting. I also wanted to take the lace tatting class. Oh well! Maybe next year we'll have more time. There are several yarn shops in the area. I will have to look into any classes they might offer. So the next time you hear about a fiber festival in your area make sure you stop by. Take the little ones too. There's always something fun for them too!

8 comments:

glorv1 said...

Oh how fun. Sounds like you had an adventure. I know nil about spinning, etc, but it does sound like it would be fun. Aren't there any classes where you are at? The pictures came out great and I'm glad you had a good time. Those Llamas are pretty neat. I see them when we take drives out in the country. Take care and thx for sharing.

Bob Mrotek said...

Hooray! Hooray! Yaya is back and I can stop holding my breath. Nice pictures. I always wanted to do something like that. I used to do quite a bit of bead work many years ago when I was in the Boy Scouts. I have so many things on my "wannado" list that it makes me crazy :)

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I made another post about video, yay! Thank you friend for your help.

Bob: I've been away, but I still always visited your blog. Learned a lot too as always from your informative writing. Thank you for your sweet comment! I am the same way, there are like a million things I want to learn. Funny though, how when you're young, you don't realize you have so much to learn, until you're in the Autumn or Winter of your life.....

Oiyi said...

Wow, that sounded like so much fun!

Wool Winder said...

I'm really sorry I missed Kid 'N Ewe this year. Maybe next year I'll be there and we can meet in person.

Tilly said...

Oh what fun! I was recently given a very "basic" spinning wheel, but I haven't had a chance to even look it over...I can't wait! Lucky you with the class!!

YayaOrchid said...

Oiyi, it was a lot of fun! You're lucky you got to go to Rhinebeck. Lucky girl!

Traci, that would be great if we got to meet at the next KidnEwe! I think this year there were more vendors and events than last year.

Tilly, how wonderful about your spinning wheel. There's lots of online tutorials for learning to use it. You'll be having so much fun!

annamae said...

wow, looks like so much fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music