Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Show 'n Tell

Edited to add: I want to make sure I give credit to Kelli who is the charming host of the weekly Friday Show and Tell. If you would like to join in on the fun, or would enjoy reading other blogs which are also sharing in the fun, please visit her blog for a list of wonderful sites!

Being that this is Friday, I thought I'd join in on the fun of sharing pictures of some of my things. I'm not exactly clear how it works, but I assume you share pictures of little treasures such as antiques or collectibles. I don't really have any sets of things, but when I visited Wisecraft and read her coffee post almost a year ago, I knew I had to have those cups! Perhaps it's just me, but doesn't the cup just make the coffee look so good? Oh, yeah! I'm all for making my morning ritual just that much more enjoyable! So I started looking around for Russel Wright cups and saucers. Slowly over time, I accumulated a little set. Aren't they just the cutest little things? In the blog coffee post, they look regular size. Well, when mine arrived, I realized they're actually quite small. Not demi size, but smaller than I expected. Although you can also find the demi sized sets. I love the roundness and curves. I also ordered the battery operated milk frother wand. It's set to arrive any day now. Without futher ado, here's my little show 'n tell:


Mine are grey, which I really like, but there are quite a lot of colors available in this line of dishes. Trivia-wise, they were made from the 1930's to the 1950's. Russel Wright was then much like Martha Stewart is today. His line of creations covered a broad range of household items, even furniture!

And now, for my favorite little 'thang'....This is a 1948 Franklin Rotary sewing machine with a knee lift, and it includes the sewing cabinet. I like
its rustic and weathered look, so I wouldn't change a thing about it. Well, maybe clean it up a bit more.


I found it at a yard sale as we were driving by. I yelled to my sweetie 'Stop!' as soon as I saw it. Now, it's not my dream machine, but it's close enough. My dream machine would be a manual 'treadle' machine. I LOVE those machines. Anyway, back to this one.....it supposedly works, though I still haven't tried it, and the little light fixture is loose but we couldn't figure out how to attach it. The price of the machine? $25! That's a good deal for a bit of history I think.
This wraps up today's post. Thank you and God bless!


24 comments:

glorv1 said...

yaya, that is so cool. I have an old singer with petal foot that belonged to my Grandma. I will too post that sometime. I love the cups. Where did you order them from? I want some too and the frother as well:) Very nice Friday Show and Tell and thats all you do is show your stuff. Yay!! I love it.

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Gloria! I found my cups on Ebay, but they're all over the place. Just google 'russel wright'.
Thanks for giving me the idea on Show 'n Tell. It's so much fun!

Beth said...

That machine is fabulous. I keep looking for an older machine but winter is not the time to hit yard sales in New England. Great find! Beth

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Beth! I would love to fin one of those old fashioned treadle machines, but in my neck of the woods, I don't think I'll find it.

Amy said...

I love the sewing machine, Yaya. I don't have a vintage machine, but a treadle would be nice for when the power goes out!

YayaOrchid said...

Amy, I would love to have one even if it doesn't work! They just look so beautiful! But of course a working one would come in handy in cases like you said.

Renee said...

I love the colour of the mugs. The size of the mugs makes sense when you say the years they would have been made in. Everythig was smaller back then.

I measured a plate my Mom had back in the day compared to a plate we have now and the plates we have now are the size of old platters.

Love Renee

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, that in itself tells quite a story about our present society! Everything got supersized then. No wonder that translates to more food consumption.

Tea Time and Roses said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tea Time and Roses said...

Oops, I made that boo-boo above...so sorry.:o( Oh my how I love your sewing machine, what a wonderful find!:o) The cups too are quite lovely! Wonderful treasures!

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you Beverly! They are little treasures indeed. :)

Wool Winder said...

The sewing machine is a wonderful find. And I really do like the style of the cups.

Peggy said...

That's a great deal! I would love to find a treadle machine, too. My grandmother had one!

Kelli said...

What sweet little cups and your sewing machine is wonderful! Thank you for joining in the fun!
~Kelli

YayaOrchid said...

Tracy: Isn't it great when you find unexpected treasures?

Peggy, it's great when you have those antiques within your family. So what happened to your Grandmother's machine?

Kelli, thank you for stopping by. Hope you were able to delete my double entry.

Lady Katherine said...

Your cups are great! Wonder if our sweeties will ever think we will quit sceaming Stop! lol I use to sew on one of the treadle machines. When I started spinning on the spinning wheel it helped that I had sewn on the treadle machine.

Lady Katherine said...

Your cups are great! Wonder if our sweeties will ever think we will quit sceaming Stop! lol I use to sew on one of the treadle machines. When I started spinning on the spinning wheel it helped that I had sewn on the treadle machine.

erika~ the inspired mama said...

*GASP* that machine is fabulous!!! i would have yelled for my hubby to stop too, if i had spied it! :)

xo,
erika

YayaOrchid said...

Lady Katherine, thank you for your visit! Yes, isn't that the truth, LOL! Why is it that we able to spot treasures going at the speed limit? How nice that you have a treadle, and maybe even nicer that you have a spinning wheel! That's another thing I want, LOL!

YayaOrchid said...

Erika, thank you for stopping by! I hope you too find one in your area. It is nice when you find these old treasures.

Alice said...

Awesome sewing machine! It reminds me of one my grandmother had many years ago. Seems like I also remember a treadle machine, I think an aunt had that one. Cool memories! Thanks :).

You are always welcome at The Shadow of the Cross. Feel free to visit anytime.

Deanna said...

Very cute cups! I love my vintage mugs I found at an antique store years ago.

And very cool machine!

Oiyi said...

Love the cups! I like the color, too. and the sewing machine is fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Love the Franklin Rotary. I just purchased a mint 1927 Franklin Rotary mod. 23 sewing machine. Sews like a dream, and is so lovely (decals) I just keep it displayed in the living room.

Christine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music