Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, December 5, 2008

Labor

Well, I decided I had better write a post, since I've been away from the keyboard for a while now. I do pop in to check my bloggie mates' blogs from time to time, though.

Today was tree trimming time for us. We usually wait until January to do it, but since the day was bright and sunny, and even with a crisp chill in the air, perfect for such a task. We have lots of trees on the property, so while the husband did tackle most of the trees, there will still be a few more to take care of later, when all the leaves have fallen off. With the overgrown look done away with, the yard looks airier. The better to water my plants.

Today was also the second day I embark on walking. Simply walking. I'm not going for grand scale changes in lifestyle of epic proportion. I'm just going to take baby steps. I may or may not continue, time will tell. But I don't intend to act based on 'proving' myself to anyone, not even myself. It's just that for the past few nights, I wake up gasping for breath. So, if I want to live, I'd better get moving. I've never felt compelled to change diet or increase exercise because all my vitals and stats from tests have come back 'normal'. Even my cholesterol level has never gone above the borderline mark. I do try to eat as little fried, greasy foods as possible. And at my beloved's insistence, I stopped drinking sugary carbonated drinks. I felt secure in thinking that I was one of those lucky people who didn't suffer from all those health issues so common in my racial/cultural demographics: diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, heart disease, and even certain types of cancer. Well, scratch asthma off. I do suffer from chronic bronchitis during allergy season. But now, just days away from my 51st birthday, I realize I really may not be around as long as I'd hoped. I guess I finally saw the light. I'm thinking I'd better contribute my fair share of 'effort' at staying healthy or else.

Before, I actually had an excuse for not walking. Umm....I'll start walking when I find the Nike shocks I've been wanting. You know, the ones I've got are just so uncomfortable. I'm certain when I find the right ones, I'll take off like a lark running, he,he,he....Well, what do you know, I'd go shopping, and they never had them! But you know what? My sweetie found me a pair on Ebay, brand new, the right size and color and everything! So that explains why I've taken off like a lark walking no less. Sadly, just to illustrate how horribly out of shape I've been in, I could only handle one block! The return block I was panting and heaving the whole way back. It reminded me of childbirth labor. I guess this is somehow a little like labor and giving birth to a new way of living. And so today, I felt brave and walked two blocks, and while the return two blocks were difficult, I gained confidence. I know I can do this. Slowly, one block at a time. One baby step at a time.

8 comments:

glorv1 said...

Yaya congratulations on your mental attitude and your physical one as well. I think it's great that you decided to start walking, take it slow. I encourage you to take it slow and one day at a time. I am also going back to my exercises at Curves. I've slacked off quite a bit, but next week is the final and I'm done. I decided to start on Jan. 1, because of the holidays. Yaya, why don't you look in the paper for a used treadmill. It's gonna start raining soon and that will tend to discourage you from walking. If you have a treadmill, at least you can walk at home. I'm proud of you and when you walk, remember I'm thinking of you and saying to you, "take it slow yaya." Hey girl, welcome back. Nice to see you. Take care and have a great weekend.

Beth said...

Good for you!

I must say, after I gave birth to my 2nd daughter I weighed 205 lbs. About 18 months ago (with 160 being my average weight) I started the South Beach Diet and I now weigh almost what I weighed in high school - 131 lbs.

Stick with it! The beginning is the toughest. I'll think happy, walking thoughts for you! Beth

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, thanks for the encouragement. The treadmill idea is good, but my house is too small to accomodate one. I will keep an eye out for a small one though. All the ones Ive seen seem really huge! I'm happy for you also about going back to Curves. It's all about staying active.

Beth, I have heard of the South Beach diet, but I've never researched it. I think I will read up on it. I'm just not very disciplined at following diets. I'm glad it worked for you!

glorv1 said...

Oh I just love that Sarah Brightman. That music just is so beautiful. Just cruising around, thought I'd stop and say hello. Take care.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, if you go to utube, there's a video of them recording that song.

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
When I first started to read this post I thought you meant that you wait until January to trim your tree meaning "Christmas tree" and I though "Oh, no, Yaya is even farther behind than I am :)

YayaOrchid said...

Bob, I agree with you, and I actually didn't realize it until much later. Poor choice of word(s) I guess. I should have used 'pruning' instead of 'trimming', right? That's another reason why I think the English language is more difficult to learn than Spanish.

Renee said...

You can so do this Yaya. I wish that while I could walk more I would have. I do believe we have to try to stay fit while we can. This is coming from a woman over 200 pounds and only 5 feet tall.

Good for you though.

Love Renee

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music