Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, December 15, 2008

A New Week


Here we are starting a new week- and it's getting closer and closer to Christmas. We awoke to a misty cold day, which to us is great! We get so much hot weather, that this is a wonderful break from the norm. Plus it helps with the "Christmas" mood. It also lends itself to having something hot and nutritious. I made this soup using Anna's recipe, but instead of Swiss chard, I used kale and also added mushrooms. It really hits the spot when it's cold outside and you really, really, don't want to turn on the heater. I so enjoy just wearing comfy socks and an extra layering of clothes. I believe this is a time for economizing, and every little thing we can do towards that end is a good thing. Feeling a little cold won't hurt me, certainly won't kill me, so why not try and save a little money on the fuel bill?
Cold weather to me is also a good time for watching a good movie. After finishing my post, I think I'll pop this in the player. The 1995 version of "Pride and Prejudice" is my favorite movie, which is sold as a set of 3 discs. That and a good cuppa Earl Grey Cream will really put me in a British tea sipping and jolly good mood!

14 comments:

glorv1 said...

Oh, jolly ole chap, how's my blogmate? heheeheh. That sounds like a fun thing to do. Me, I'm stuck in the kitchen for a few hours more, but I'll relax later. I have the heater on right now, couldn't take it any more. I have two sweaters on, two pairs socks and I'm still cold. I thought maybe a glass of wine would warm me, but it failed to do so. Enjoy your tea, take care.

Peggy said...

Yeah, I'm not getting much sympathy from my DH who's in WISCONSIN where the high was 7?! I made soup, too! This Upstate NY girl's blood has thinned out living in Texas.

YayaOrchid said...

The reason I can afford to not turn on the heater is because it's not really that cold. I think it's like 49F, which is bearable. Any colder than that I probably would just up and turn on the heat too! I'm thrifty but not a martyr, LOL!

Bob Mrotek said...

Okay, now you got me started. I make a high octane chicken soup that will make you want to run around the block three times. I use the remains of a supermarket rotisserie chicken. The roasting does something special to the bones. I put all the bones with whatever bit of skin and meat clinging to them in a pot and I let is simmer for an hour or two. Then I put it through a sieve and pick all the little pieces of chicken off the bones and discard the bones. Then I cook the soup some more with onions, carrots, garlic, and celery added and also a couple of Knorr bullion cubes. I serve it in a bowl over a thick bed of those short skinny noodles and throw in some more chicken pieces. If this stuff doesn't warm you up nothing will :)

Amy said...

Our low tonight is supposed to be 18. On the way to work this morning it was 52...not unusual for Michigan, but a little hard on the body nevertheless. Enjoy your "cold snap," Yaya.

YayaOrchid said...

Peggy, isn't that the truth! Living in Texas you never have to deal with those harsh winters!

Bob, oh that does sound delicious! That's like that recipe everyone suggests doing with the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers. I'll bet the roasting does bring out an extra layer of flavor! I will be trying that! thank you!

Amy, my THAT is cold! I honestly don't know how you folks survive in that weather! But I know it looks lovely when it snows for Christmas!

Renee said...

Yaya: You would freak-out here. It is -45 and all my windows are frosted over with ice.

It is freezing. Too cold even for the reindeer.

xoxoxo

Love Renee

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, I can't even imagine what that feels like! Brrrr....
But it must look like beautiful, like a Winter wonderland!

glorv1 said...

Bob says it "Embrarrando", from the verb, "Embrarrar." It's not embarrando, its embrarrando, sort of like:

em brar ran do

Okay, seeya:)

Bob Mrotek said...

Gloria and Yaya,
My face is very red right now. I made a boo-boo while typing and I just noticed my mistake. The word isn't "embrarrando" like I told you. It is "embarrando". I don't know why I put that extra "r" after the "b". Perhaps I was thinking of "embragar"..."to engage the clutch". Now I am ready to start embragando :)

Pleez forgive me!!!

glorv1 said...

yaya, I got the same message from Bob:) embarrando. case closed;)

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, okie, dokie :)

Tea Time and Roses said...

Here in southern California the past few days have been rainy and quite chilly...really very nice! Let us both enjoy this time while we have it, and the timing could not be better!:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Beverly, I couldn't agree more! The timing is perfect!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music