Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, January 16, 2009

The Sleeping Garden

Computer woes kept me from writing duties. Life doesn't stop because of a sickly computer, though. I had time to just be. On one particularly nice day, and well before this recent cold front, I was out and about in the garden. There is something just so pretty and peaceful about a Winter garden. It's tucked in for the time being, my sleeping garden. Rest is good. My pictures of that day serve to remind me that just below the surface, things are not how they appear. Certainly, everything looks so bleak and cold right now. Yet life is simmering, waiting to explode onto the surface with the first inkling of warmer days. January beauty, I love you!

Things that also make me feel warm and fuzzy and cozy when it's cold outside are nicely packaged parcels which unexpectedly arrive in the day's mail. My good Amiga Gloria sent me these amazing art frames!
And all the way from California too!
To wit: colorful art prints from her own paintings create a most
unique multi-media collage on sturdy wood frames. The lady has talent!
It's funny, but when you see artwork on web pages, it's hard to get a sense of the artistic effort and beauty as clearly as when you can see it up close and personal. Wish I could be as creative and talented as she is with paint and brushes. Believe me, I've tried. She does inspire me to try again, though. Her paintings "Gisela" and "Pink Cheeks" are sure to be treasured by me. But my all time favorite is "Woman with Earrings" from her 'Woman of the Eyebrow Series'. I love those earrings! I like this artwork which has a 'Frida Kahlo' touch. Thank you so much Gloria! I know we'll be seeing more of Gloria's new artwork soon. In fact, I did
stop by her site earlier, and she has some new artwork up that I hadn't seen before.


These are just some pictures of the garden on that day I mentioned before. It's pretty much dormant, except for the greenery here and there. This is our comet fish pond. I love their color! Very much like the tangerine fruit from our tree.

The rose garden is bedded down for the season also. Roses were pruned and heavily mulched beforehand.

Wish the camera lenses could have captured all the birdies having a field day at this bird feeder. They're there, unseen in the photo, though. They blend in with the branches and foliage. It was sunflower seeds destined for the cardinals, but as always, the common 'pulguientos' or house wrens always get first dibs.

This is the Season for citrus fruit, though. Our tangerine tree usually produces some of the sweetest most succulent fruit. This year, however, like the Mexican lime tree, it only produced a handful. Very sweet fruit though!

It does taste and smell as wonderful as it looks:

There is just so much to be grateful for! As the Lord said ".....to everything there is a Season...."

7 comments:

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya, glad you are back. Blogland seems lonely without you. Hey you really must have a great camera because you did some good justice to the collages. You made them look better than they really are. Thanks for posting them. Your yard is great. I love tangerines and we didn't get any this year either because of that fire in the back yard from next door. You probably have a lot of catching up to do so glad you are back and thanks amiga. Take care.

Renee said...

Beautiful post Yaya.

Yahoo, your back. I for one am glad.

Gloria's pictures are beautiful, what a wonderful gift from a good friend.

I love that you showed us the garden, it is so refreshing.

Peace

Renee

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
It's nice that you are back! Thanks for the new word "pulguientos". Before this I only knew the Spanish word "Chochín" to describe the Common Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes). My Spanish vocabulary is growing and growing with every passing day. I just hope that I don't explode one of these days like a big bag of wind :)

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, thanks so much for the welcome back. It is good to be back.

Renee, thank you for your nice comment. I too love to look at garden pictures.

Bob, glad you liked my new word for the wrens. You know why they're called 'pulguientos', right? In other words, 'fleabags'. LOL!

Wool Winder said...

I think the citrus trees have done very well here this year. It's easy to spot the colorful fruit from far away when everything else is lacking in color. Your tangerine looks tasty!

Heather said...

So many beautiful photos--though I can almost taste the citrus. Yum! Pretty things from your friend; love the Frida colors.

carrie said...

Oh, those fish are so cool. I love tangerines.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music