Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Indoors

On a warm day like today, with temperatures in the mid 90's, I stayed indoors. Pollen counts were high, so being indoors was best for me. I did manage to change curtains in the kitchen and toppers in the living room. I don't like to put curtains in the living room because my Sweetie and I both enjoy watching the birds through the windows. At times I do hang valances, but a simple topper is all I usually put up. As soon as the hummingbirds show up, we'll place the nectar feeders where we can watch when they approach for their feedings. It's been rather chilly all month, but now that temps are warming up, it shouldn't be long before we have sightings of the hummers and the martins.
Some ironing was also in order, and the usual daily chores. Tomorrow will see me busy doing more house cleaning. Hopefully there'll be some time for sewing.

6 comments:

Wool Winder said...

The martins have already arrived in our area. They are fighting the sparrows for a spot in the martin house. We don't usually see hummers in the spring, but have lots of them in our yard in the late summer and early fall.

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,

As I read your post I was watching a hummingbird feed at my feeder just outside my window. I love those little guys. They are truly one of God's most delightful miracles :)

glorv1 said...

We get a lot of hummingbirds in our patio, would you believe. That is where we hand 3 feeders or water bearers for them. I put a little red food coloring in the water and just a tad bit of sugar or the ants will get to it. My step-mom used to call them
"chupa-rosas." She loved them. She had feeders hanging outside her window where she could see them as she washed dishes. You know hummingbirds are very territorial and they fight with each other over their yard and feeders. They are so much fun. I once had one come up to my face and stare me down. It was awesome. Take care and have a great Thursday.

Elaine said...

Hi Yaya.....too bad you can't be outside enjoying the warmer temps..I know you like working in your garden. But it sounds like you're enjoying yourself indoors too and keeping busy! We get so many hummingbirds around here.....aren't they just the sweetest?
Elaine :)

Bob Mrotek said...

Just for the record, you really don't need to add any red food coloring to the hummingbird feeder water. They will find it just the same. Also, the normal plant nectar is about 21% sugar so the proper ratio for feedwater is one part sugar to four parts water. Many people here call them chuparosa but their real name is colibrí.

YayaOrchid said...

Tracy: How wonderful that the martins have arrived in your area. That means it won't be long here too. No hummer sightings yet either.

Bob: I love them too! And yes, you're absolutely correct about the food coloring not being necessary, and in fact might not be so good for them. I prepare it also one part sugar to 4 parts water. And I also like the word 'colibri' in spanish!

Gloria, yes, hummers are very territorial, we have fun watching them fight each other off. They make such a racker, LOL! We also call them 'chuparosas', but I think I like the word 'colibri' much better. :)

Elaine, today I went outside briefly to check on the koi. The water is still murky, but I can tell that they're HUGE! It has been a beautiful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music