Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Trying to Tat

Well, it's very late and once again I'm up late like a night owl. My Sweetie is working nights, so since I cannot sleep, I'll have to get some of my 'creative' work underway. In one cluttered corner of my sewing room I've got fabric ready to be cut into an apron. But what has been holding me hostage are my constant efforts at learning to needle tat. I've searched for any youtube video on needle tatting, but alas, could not find even a single one. All the videos I found are for shuttle tatting. I would like to learn that as well, but for now, I want to tat with a needle. It's not hard actually, as it involves only one basic stitch. But then you have to learn now to form rings and chains, and that is where it gets challenging. Here's one of the videos on shuttle tatting:


I honestly don't want to sound as though I'm making excuses for myself, but I can truthfully say that ever since I underwent the craniotomy years ago on the right side of my brain, my left hand has a little bit of a hard time feeling certain textures. It feels as though there is a blockage of sorts that won't allow a complete 'connection' in sensing like I used to. For example, if I close my eyes and a coin is put before me, I can fully sense what it is with my right hand. If I feel it with my left hand, I can feel most all about the coin, but I would not be able to have a complete tactile experience. There would be elements about the coin that would be lost on me. I might know that it's a coin, but not certain about the type of coin. So with tatting, for example, the ease and fluidity of the thread on my left hand becomes a jumbled mess of string. I might have a few seconds where I have to 'figure out' how to manipulate the thread for my brain to comprehend completely what I'm doing. That is why I love needlework. It forces me to use both hands and brain and to continually use those nerve endings which may have been compromised. For some reason, knitting and crochet have never been a problem. I suppose because for the most part, the right hand does most of the work. In needle tatting, both hands must manipulate the thread and needle. In any case, it's always good to learn something new, especially when you're my age. Must keep those brain cells working!

4 comments:

Wool Winder said...

I hope you are able to figure it out.

Renee said...

Yaya, that totally does not seem like an excuse. It totally must have some connection to the operation. But it left you fabulous just the same. ooxoox

Hopeless romantic -- you know it.

Love Renee

Elaine said...

Yaya, I so admire you for doing your needlework. I've dabbled in it but have not actually done very much My sister is great at tatting....I've never even attempted it!
Elaine :)

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya. I just wanted to comment on your post before I do other things. I'm behind on many comments but your post was there so here I am. Sorry you are having problems with feeling on your hand. I think you'll be able to figure it out. It seems when you want to do something, you do. I'll check around for tatting with a needle. Sometimes you have to insert different words to find what you want. I answered your comment on my blog. I've been busy, that's why I haven't posted. Maybe tomorrow after all my duties, I'll get back to it. Have a great Tuesday and keep trying, don't give up what you want to learn. Just me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music