Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Amish Friendsip Bread

About a year ago, a friend of mine here in town shared a most delicious loaf of sweet cake, along with a recipe and some starter. It was labeled with the name of some patron saint, and the instructions had you passing the recipe and the starter along to other people. The one given to me was called "Pan del Padre Pio", but I'm convinced the recipe is the same one being passed online called "Amish Friendship Bread". The only difference was that the "Padre Pio" recipe included a lot of pagan mystique to it, such as you had to stir with a wooden spoon, you HAD to give it to three other people, and you could only make it ONCE in your lifetime. It also included some ominous threat of good luck if you passed it on, but not so good if you didn't. Kind of like a chain letter. As it turns out, I lost the recipe, and when I called my friend for it again, she too had misplaced it. Well, a few days ago I came upon a wonderful blog called Little Birdie Secrets . I was so happy to see that she had posted the recipe! So of course, I wrote the author of said blog to ask for permission to post the recipe and the pictures she had posted. Jessica was kind enough to allow me to do just that. I wanted to post it on my blog so perhaps more people who had never heard of it would see how scrumptious it looks!

The pictures belong to Ms. Jessica, but I just had to show how delicious the bread looks, especially since it takes 10 days before you can bake a loaf from the starter. I started my 'starter' yesterday, so I won't have a picture to share for some time. But this is how the loaf looks. Isn't it a tempting sight? If you're wondering why it takes 10 days, I would venture to guess that it's about how long it takes for a starter to grow strong and mature. Time gives bread dough or batter depth and flavor.
So without further ado, here is the recipe for Amish Friendship Bread, as shared with us by Little Birdie Secrets .
If you are starting the bread yourself combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup sugar in a zip-top bag and squeeze it together until mixed in. This is day 1. Continue with the rest of normal instructions.Note: Do not refrigerate the starter. Keep it at room temperature.
Amish Friendship Bread
Day 1: Receive starter from a friend.
Day 2-5: Mush closed bag twice a day.
Day 6: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mush bag.
Day 7-9: Mush bag and release air twice a day.
Day 10: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk.
This is the day you make your bread.First measure three 1 cup starters and put them in three separate bags. Save one for yourself and give the other two to friends.Pour remaining batter into a large bowl and add the following ingredients:1 cup oil2 cups flour1 cup sugar1/2 cup milk3 eggs1 tsp. vanilla1 1/2 tsp. baking powder1 tsp. cinnamon1/2 tsp. salt1/2 tsp. baking soda1 large box instant vanilla pudding Mix ingredients well. In a bowl, mix together 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Grease two loaf pans. Pour batter into loaf pans, and sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake at 35o degrees for 40-50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. This does really well in the freezer.
I hope I didn't miss anything. I think the recipe is easy to make and well worth saving for future use and to share with friends. And don't worry, there are no attached required feats with this recipe. Use at your leisure, and as you wish. But certainly, do enjoy it! Thank you Jessica for sharing with us!

12 comments:

Katheirne said...

This bread is so good after it has been baked. I was given a bag once, and the last day I opened the bag, and got a whiff of it...that said I could not continue to process cause the fermented smell was more than I could handle...lol

glorv1 said...

That bread looks so good. I haven't baked bread in a while and I sort of miss the aroma of bread baking in the oven. It just fills the house. I read about this bread on someone's blog once and it is very interesting.

YayaOrchid said...

Katherine, what you smelled was the scent of 'sourdough'. It can be a tad overpowering, but the results sooo good.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I hope you try it. It's basically a sweet sourdough, something a little different.

For dinner, I'll be making flautas, rice, and refried beans. I'll check on your blog later to see what you're making, LOL!

carrie said...

Looks yummy!!

Renee said...

Yaya that looks so delicious and what a good idea to share the bread.

You totally made me laugh today. I bet you are not five feet tall.

xoxoxo

Amy said...

Hi Yaya...this is good bread. I got the starter a few years ago at a knitting class I was in. We enjoyed it. I'm thinking of making my own starter and sharing with a neighbor and a couple gals at work. I'll keep you posted. How's the sewing coming?

Love,
Amy

Renee said...

Well Madam, I think we are perfect.

xoxoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Carrie: I concur!

Amy: I'm sewing....a little. Need more aprons!

Renee: I think I'll second that! :)

Persuaded said...

well, how cool are you??? I love friendship bread, but i haven't a clue as to how to actually make my own starter... until now! Thank you so much, friend☺

Clever Karen said...

We passed this "starter" around our school several years ago. You are right - the bread is absolutely awesome!

Denise said...

I was given a starter, fed it and then had to go out of town. I left my husband in charge of baking the bread, needless to say, he forgot. I am now 3 days past due. Should I throw it away and start over, or would it be ok to bake it today?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music