Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, March 28, 2009

HR 875

I'm seeing a lot of people blogging about H.R. Bill 875. My perception is that this new effort by the government to control our food supply under the guise of 'food safety' is going to affect each and every one of us if it passes. It would affect even those of us who enjoy planting our own gardens for food and/or enjoyment. And of course even more affected would be the small farmers who sell their produce at Farmer's Markets and organic farms as well. Read: no more fresh fruit and veggies fresh from the fields. Those farmers would not be able to afford staying in business, only the large corporations would be winners in this.

H.R. 875:Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 is a bill which I think every American should take the time to become informed about, because if as we fear it is not good for us, only in great numbers can we affect the outcome. It is another effort by the government to have more controls in our daily affairs, much like another bill: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008.

So, if after reading about it you wish to have a voice, then join others at this link .

While I admit I'm not big on getting involved in politics, this is just too important to sit by the wayside. I also feel it is important to stand behind those people who put in a lot of work to supply us with fresh produce. I for one wish to support the small farmers and organic farmers, even if only in this small way. Besides, it involves my 'meat and potatoes', those things close to my tummy.

14 comments:

glorv1 said...

Yaya I tried reading some of that bill and I'm not sure I understand it. Doesn't it mean just for the sale of food? Not home gardeners who do it for themselves and don't sell it. I don't understand it.In a word, just what does it mean?

glorv1 said...

I clicked on that link and from what I could understand, it pertains to farmers markets, and other sellers of organic vegetables ,etc. I don't think it pertains to the home gardener.??? I would hate to see the farmers market out of business because I do enjoy going to ours, but I don't really think it pertains to home growers for own use.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, it will affect us down the line, because as I've been reading on other blogs, gardening giant "Monsanto" is tied into efforts to do away with the ease of home gardeners obtaining seeds, especially heirloom seeds for home gardening. This bill just makes it easier for that to happen. It's like a series of steps....one thing leads to another.
Besides, we who home garden like to share with our neighbors and loved ones. So you see how that would affect you in that aspect?

seemommysew said...

Thanks for spreading the word. I was mad when I first heard about this bill. Thanks for the link!

Renee said...

Yaya this is very interesting I have never heard of it before.

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

Love you dear Amiga and I am honoured to be called your Amiga.

xoxo

Love Renee

glorv1 said...

What I think would happen if that bill passes is that one would not be able to give neighbors or other friends home grown veggies for fear of the receiver getting sick and sueing the giver. I really don't think the bill would pass, especially right now when times are so hard. I mean it would put the seed businesses out of work, and down the line like you say. I don't understand a lot of the "trickery" words that congress has in that bill. It's just too much to ask for. I think what this president wants is to govern everyone. He is aware of this bill and I've read that he agrees with it. I don't know Idalia. I'm like you, I don't usually get political because of lack of understanding and this is one of those times.

YayaOrchid said...

That's ok, Gloria. As long as keep our eyes and ears open to what's going on.

Beth said...

I had never heard of this - thanks for the link!

And - the White House just got a lot of press because of their 'Victory Garden' that the First Lady planted with local school children on White House Grounds. I wonder how she feels about this.

Beth

Persuaded said...

some of these bills are really scary. there is another one that has to do with not selling children's products unless they have been tested to insure they have no lead or other dangerous chemicals. sounds great, right? except that they include the sale of used things and handmade things... which would pretty much do away with the sale of such products. isn't that awful?

the bills themselves are so complicated that one needs to be a lawyer to understand them!

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you everyone for your input. It's important to stay informed and to give the heads up to one another when things like this come up.

Diane, and yes, I posted the link for the bill about the handmade products, it's the link titled "Consumer Products Safety..."

I'm thinking it's not so much a 'government' thing, although it is because they're the ones passing the legislation. But it's more a "Corporate" push to bind up the competition, being the small business entrepreneurs. The big corporations have a lot of money to 'donate' to our government Senators and Representatives.

Elaine said...

HiYaya...thanks for the link. It's so important to stay informed about things like this!
Elaine

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Elaine! So good to hear from you! Yes, that's what I think too.

Renee said...

Yaya thank you for your prayers. I want them and I need them.

This looks like a serious issue. It is so good to bring it to the forefront.

Love Renee xoxo

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya, just dropped in to say hi. I made chicken soup for dinner with french bread. Milk 2% to drink. That's all we had. Today I was going to go in the studio and start painting the cabinets in there and ended just doing not much of anything. I guess you could say I got lazy. I started painting on canvas here in the house. Something I don't know what yet but something. Have a great Wednesday. Seeya.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music