Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The March Garden

After the cool front we had a few days ago, it was really nice to be outside checking on the garden's progress. I can see that the rain mist really helped the Swiss chard. It looks so pretty and lush. If all goes well, since this is the first time we plant chard, I'd like a larger area to plant it in. This is such a small bedding frame. There's also a single little cayenne pepper plant in the middle.


This is not such a great picture, but I had to show the huge amount of 'epazote' growing smack in the middle of this square foot garden. It's growing along with that awful clover weed. I'm afraid of disturbing it, so I've allowed the weeds......for now. From one single plant of epazote we had growing last year, my Sweetie strew the seeds in this frame. I love using it for cooking our beans. It's supposed to aid in preventing embarrassing gas. Plus it really does give a delicious taste to the beans! The tree limb to the left is of an Olive tree. Hope we'll someday see it produce fruit. So in this frame we have cayenne, poblano, jalapeno, bell, a couple of habanero and banana peppers.

This is an orange tree my Sister and Brother-in-law gave us. Note the tiny little oranges already growing on the branches! It's supposed to be from a very sweet variety of orange.

This little wagon holds a pot of mint. So aromatic and pretty!

In this corner of the square foot garden is one of two lavender plants. I wanted something that would attract bees. I've never had very good luck with lavender. Maybe it's the heat. I do try not to overwater.

There you have it. A quick tour of a corner of our backyard garden.

16 comments:

glorv1 said...

I love your garden!! I love it. It looks so vibrant. Ooooh how neat. I have a favor to ask please. Can you save me some epazote seeds? I cannot find any. I think I would have to order from Mexico or something. Please, pretty please. How neat that you have bedding frames. I really like that. We have 4 olives trees and they produce olives but I don't know how to cure them. Oh I can read up on it, but I don't like the idea of lye. Your my kinda girl with all those hot peppers. I have a lot of mint too and yours looks so vibrant. Lavender doesn't like a lot of water. They like to be dry in between I believe. Fig trees is the same. Thanks for sharing your garden. I loved it.

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Gloria! I surely will save you some seeds. It is a plant very much worth having in the garden! Thank you for your nice comments Amiga :)!

Wool Winder said...

Your garden looks fresh and pretty!

Persuaded said...

gracious, that is lovely... and so far along already! my "garden" is a patch of grubby mud with a few scraggly sprouts in it..

i have read about square foot gardening and wanted to give it a try. do you recommend it?

Renee said...

Yaya thanks for the green. It is freezing here today and yes we are covered in snow. It is melting now, so I guess we are covered in snow and ice.

Your aprons look great. Nice to accomplish something isn't it.

Love Renee xoxoxo

Peggy said...

Your garden looks beautiful and sustaining!

Peggy said...

Your garden looks beautiful and sustaining!

Amy said...

The mint looks divine, Yaya. Will you dry it for tea? I did a few years ago with chamomile...it was delicious.

Amy

YayaOrchid said...

Tracy, thank you!

Diane, before you know it your garden will be awash with greenery as well. My Husband is the one who got into the sq ft gardening through a book. Yes, I think it's a good system especially if you only have a small area for gardening.

Renee, bbrrrr.....I can't imagine having to deal with Winter weather this late in the year. I sympathize with you. But I know Canadadians also enjoy beautiful gardens as well in the Summer!

Peggy, thank you!

Amy, I've never tried drying mint, and I'm glad you told me because I didn't know it dried well. I know you can freeze it though. I'll have to give drying a try. Thank you for your visit!

glorv1 said...

I came back to look at your backyard garden. I was answering a comment on my last post and I glanced to the left of me and saw what you had said about the delish meal you had yesterday. It sounded really good and I had to come back and see your garden. You need to post something from your garden every day with a couple remarks. I'm always happy to see that.
On another note, I'm making tacos today. No rice, no beans just tacos. We scarf up when we have tacos, so I try to not eat during the day so I can chow down. We only live once. Tomorrow I won't eat so much. Sorry to bother you, hope you don't mind my coming over without an invitation. :) Take care.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, you're welcome any time! Just remember to bring a few tacos for me too, ;))

Thank you for saying that. I'll try and post more often, with garden pictures as well. :)

seemommysew said...

So pretty! We are just ordering seeds here!

YayaOrchid said...

seemommysew: Thank you! Isn't it wonderful when the stores start filling their nursery inventory?

glorv1 said...

hey yaya, what happened to that orange apron? I was just about to read it and now it is gone.

Oh I know the epazote seeds will not be ready for a while. I plan on saving the seeds for next years growth.
Take care.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, portions of it somehow got deleted, and I had to start over. It is there now!

Heather said...

garden envy. . . in the Northwest, we're just getting to our growing season. . . our little sprouts are planted, but some are still indoors because it could frost again. Fun to see all your green and dream about what we'll be munching soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music