Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, April 3, 2009

Friendship Sourdough Rolls

Earlier last month, when I found a recipe for Amish friendship bread and made a post about it, I had no idea I would find a new use for the recipe. But perhaps a little history is in order to understand why I am so thrilled about this new discovery. For years, since 1997, I have kept a sourdough starter in my fridge which I made using a recipe in one of Nancy Silverstone's books. This is a starter which will make dough rise without the use of commercial yeast. Well, to make a long story short, there have been a few times- very few- when I have had success with my starter in making glorious loaves of bread. But I've never given up hope that I could somehow find a way to make good sourdough bread consistently. That I'm afraid is the operative word. I'm also afraid I am to a certain degree obsessive about reaching that goal. My dear Sweetie has even gone so far as to tell me to just give up, that it's easier to buy bread already made. Enter the Amish bread recipe: with a few adaptations, it works great for bread rolls! Now, the first batch of starter I made for some unknown reason developed a tiny bit of mold, so I had to discard it. But the second one.....well, let me just say it is alive and kicking! Goodness, was I surprised with how bubbly and fermented it became! So I did make my loaf of friendship bread, which is delicious, and to me tastes like a pound cake-all sweet and full of moist goodness. But then, I found this post by Rhonda of Down to Earth fame. If you scroll down about five paragraphs, you will see pictures of her beautiful rolls which look so light and airy, along with a recipe that uses yeast. And I thought to myself, what if I use the Friendship starter to replace the water in her recipe, and just add the amount of water she used to dissolve the yeast (1/2 cup), would it work? Now, one other thing I did learn. Her recipe, like most of the artisan baker's recipes, had you place some or all of the bread in the fridge overnight. It's supposed to create more depth and flavor in bread, a step called 'retarding' the dough. The thing I learned, that while it might be good for flavor, it can also inhibit a good rise. So while my dough did rise, and then again when I took it out of the fridge the next day, it still made for less than light and fluffy rolls. Next time, I'm using the same exact recipe, but I will not place the dough in the fridge.

Here are my sourdough rolls. I used black sesame seeds as a topping and cornmeal underneath to keep them from sticking.

Fresh out of the oven and the whole house smelled heavenly!


Checking the internal temperature:

And this is the starter I used. It's so bubbly and alive!
And the starter's scent? It's wonderful! I love the fermented aroma, almost like wine, that develops after just a few days. There is no bad odor whatsoever! This considering there's milk in it. While I did tweak the original Friendship starter by not adding sugar to the final "feedings" or refreshments, there is still a slight, pleasant sweetness in the bread from the original sugar used when I began the starter. Sweetie and I did like the taste of the rolls, and found them to be very good, especially sliced and toasted with butter. Yet as I mentioned earlier, they were somewhat dense. I wanted light and airy rolls. Perhaps next time, next try. There is one other thing worth mentioning. I am finding this whole blogging experience to be so amazing! From one blogger to another to another, there is a wealth of knowledge to glean. I guess inspiration is the key word. I become inspired by so many different people to try different things to make my home run more efficiently and better. That is why a woman from Australia inspired me to try something different in bread making. Imagine that!

14 comments:

Persuaded said...

yaya... those rolls look amazing!! i have never had much luck with sourdough for anything but the quickbreads. but this post has got me wanting to give it another try.

and blogging is so inspiring, i agree... from australia, to yaya, to me☺

Katherine said...

Hi Yaya!! Your rolls look wonderful...made me hungry :D

Bob Mrotek said...

I swear, when I saw those pictures I started salivating :)

glorv1 said...

Yaya, those rolls look delicious. You've been busy in the kitchen. Have you made anymore aprons? Lets see...mashed potatoes, nice palm size steak, peas, and of course the rolls with black sesame seeds. Yummo! I'm hungry now and it's only 8:30 am. I have to go to the post office for a few mailouts and then I am stopping at Save Mart to get some large potatoes. Tonight is mashed potato day. I'll make my own gravy. Thx for the idea and I don't know about making the rolls, I have to do a lot of watering outside. Maybe sometime. I bet it did smell really good there. Take care.

Heather said...

They look yummt--remind me of hot-cross-buns from my small town bakery. My mom is the real baker. . . I think I'll leave this to her:)

Persuaded said...

honey.. i just wanted to stop by your place to tell you how very much your comment(s) meant to me on my last post. and i do know what you mean by "waiting"... i think i have been feeling that way for the last couple of years or so, too. i'll be keeping you in my prayers, dear friend♥

Persuaded said...

I linked to you this morning in my "linky love" post... hope you don't mind!

have a blessed Sabbath♥

YayaOrchid said...

My heartfelt thanks to everyone for your nice comments! Comments to a blogger are like applause to an artist. Thank you!

And thank you Diane for including me in your linky! :)

Tracy said...

Oh, that bread looks delicious YaYa! It's been many a year since I made or ate Friendship bread. LOVE that apron in your previous post...so very feminine and pretty. Sorry to be behind on visiting...once again--LOL!...So much happening just now. But do stop by if you get a chance--I'm have a fun giveaway! :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

glorv1 said...

I see you are in goot moot, er mood. Que bueno que estas contenta y tambie felice. You must have had beans and tortillas for dinner. lollol.

I see you are in goot moot
The more you eat the more you toot.


practicing my poetry. lol

Bob Mrotek said...

Gloria,

You didn't finish it :)

Beans, beans, the musical fruit,
The more you eat, the more you toot,
The more you toot the better you feel,
So let's have beans at every meal!

YayaOrchid said...

Bob, Gloria: You'll have me laughing so hard. Who knew we had such accomplished poets in our midst? LOL!

glorv1 said...

yaya, what did you mean by "big nose?" I want to know. Did you mean I have a big nose or I'm nosy? tell me tell me. :) I have been asking you about this comment on the previous post about photo software. You said something about big nose. What do you mean by that????? I'm screaming, can you hear me???? lololol

Vicki said...

Those rolls look SOOOOOOOOO good! I'll have to try them, or have the girls try them. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music