Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, May 2, 2009

Quesadillas!

A while back while at a beauty salon, a hairdresser told me of an interesting way to make quesadillas. She was from Mexico City, and I was telling her of an episode in a novela filmed there, where they had a scene in a restaurant, and they were eating some kind of soup, and they would drop slices of banana into the soup! I thought that was so unusual. She mentioned that there they also eat quesadillas with epazote. I'd never heard of that, so when I went home, I googled it, and sure enough, it's a way of using up that pungent herb that easily grows in the garden. Our square foot garden produced so much of it, and I had a hankering for quesadillas....so I made some for a mid-morning snack. Here you can see some of the epazote we harvested in the background. I'm going to see if it dries well so I can use it as a dry herb in cooking.


The melted cheese inside the corn tortilla.
I toasted the corn tortilla on the comal, and the heat seems to 'tame' the pungent flavor of the herb. It actually tastes wonderful! I usually use epazote when I cook beans, and it gives them a really good flavor. It's also supposed to help with the 'gas' problem that beans cause. I enjoyed reading this small post about quesadillas. The old woman cooks her quesadillas over an open fire on the comal. She added squash blossoms as well. It's another layer of flavor which makes them really good! I like her apron too!
I can only imagine all the wonderful foods made with things we can grow in our gardens which we don't know we can use. Perhaps unusual or different, but tasty and nutritious!

8 comments:

glorv1 said...

I was just reading up on epazote and found out that it can be poisonous in large quantities.
Don't put too much in the food. It says large quantities.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/spanishterms/g/Epazote.htm

Those quesadillas look very good and I hope you enjoyed them. I know a lot of ladies who use it in their beans. They swear it works wonders. You don't get that "gassy" feel. Hope all is okay with you. I have a stomach ache for the last three days. Hurts. Take care and have a great sunday.

Beth said...

They look so yummy! I can't wait to actually plant my garden. We have to wait until mid-May to plant anything b/c there is still a chance we might get a frost!

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, thank you for your concern. Yes, I read about that too. In large quantities it can be toxic.

Beth, on the plus side, your growing season extends nicely. Here, by July it's TOO HOT for anything in the garden, everything starts to wilt and die, even with frequent waterings!

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, sure do hope you're feeling better. I'll be praying for you!

Renee said...

Yaya it looks delicious. Especially the shell.

Sending you love grandma.....

Love Renee xoxox

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, thank you! I just love being called "Grandma"! I can hardly wait for the little ones to call me like that. :)

Wool Winder said...

Looks good! I enjoyed reading the post you linked to also.

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Tracy! Glad you enjoyed it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music