Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, May 4, 2009

Thinking Forward

Recently, my sweet M-I-L suffered a fall, and fractured a part of her knee. Although my Sweetie and I had already discussed this particular topic long before she became injured, her accident really brought it to the forefront. You see, I had been thinking that perhaps we should begin thinking about preparing for that phase in life when you need assistance to get around. In preparation for that future which would hopefully be very far off I thought it might be a good idea to remodel certain areas of our house in a handicap accessible manner- namely bathrooms and entrances as well as certain parts of the kitchen. I felt that in the event one of us needed those types of facilities, it would be best if they were already in place. It wouldn't be very much fun to find yourself having to deal with the 'need' for them when you didn't have them. Of course, this type of discussion is always deemed as a very good idea, but something we can put off.

Well, with his Mother's accident, it fell upon his shoulders to begin to make her house handicapped user friendly, since she will need to use a wheelchair for a while. His Father was just too overwhelmed with their present situation, and has enough to deal with what with keeping her company and seeing to her needs. Through all this, my Sweetie has learned a lot. In dealing with contractors and building inspectors, every single element has been a good learning experience. It hasn't been a walk in the park, but I think the greatest lesson learned here is to be prepared for the unexpected. In a few months, his Mother will recover fully. We are thankful for that. But should she or my F-I-L ever need to have special care, their home will be ready.

Certainly finances always weigh heavily on anyone's ability to carry out preparations for the unforeseen. Thankfully, a project such as this is not as costly as we had thought. More importantly, it's money well spent.

It brings to mind something else that I learned from my Mother. She made preparations for hers and my Dad's funeral arrangement years before it was even in the horizon that they might become ill. Her greatest worry was being a burden on her two children. So when the time came, everything was already in order. My Sister and I were free to grieve without the stress of making decisions. Only minor arrangements that still had to be made remained and were taken care of. So that is the first thing on my mind, taking care of business so my Sons don't have to.

As to our house, we will be better informed consumers when we do decide to begin the arduous task of implementing our ideas.

16 comments:

Tracy said...

Sadly, it does seem to take something major to happen for us to spring into action and prepare for things. I'm so sorry your MIL had this fall YaYa...Do hope she will be ok! Thinking of you all... ((HUGS))

Renee said...

Yaya I am glad your mother in law is starting to feel better.

It is very difficult when people start to feel sick.

The funeral arrangements I think also are important to do.

xoxoxo

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
Your parents remind me of my parents. They were always prepared. About a week before she died my mother requested that she be helped to the kitchen where she then asked my sister to clean out the refrigerator while she supervised and throw out all of the leftovers and odds and ends that she kept there. That was the last thing that was weighing heavily on her mind. After that she was ready to go. May she rest in peace!

glorv1 said...

Yaya, that is something we all have to plan for. We have our mini plots picked out and paid for and this year we are doing the ugh, I hate saying the word...cremation information. I know it's about 600 or so now. Every year it goes up. Last time I inquired it was 400 and that was 2 years ago. I've elected to have direct cremation and that means I won't have those things when people go and stare you down after your dead. I know that sounds horrible but it's the truth. There are those that just go to see what you like now. lol It's true. I'd rather people remember me the way I was. Direct cremation and then straight to my plot. Keeping it simple. Oh well, each to his own.
I think what you are doing in prepping for the future is a very good thing. Your a wise woman. Take care.

YayaOrchid said...

Tracy, that is exactly the point, that it takes something to happen before we take action. Thank you for your warm wishes, she is doing much better and we know it's just time that heals broken bones.

Renee, thank you! It's just a part of life, and we have to prepare.

Bob, your Mom sounds like she was a no nonsense woman. She took care of things up to the last moment. Very wise woman indeed!

Gloria, you know that's something I've considered...cremation that is. But I thought in cremation you scattered the ashes somewhere. I didn't know you could have a miniplot. INteresting concept. Hmmm....

Persuaded said...

first of all... you have been posting away and *none* of these posts were showing up on my page! i am sorry to have been neglecting you, my friend!

my parents moved into a new, smaller house after all of us kids moved away. one of the things they did was to make sure that it would be accessible should they become unable to move about freely. it seemed a bit excessive at the time, but now that they are much older and my father has had two hip surgeries, the wisdom of their plan is so clear. you are wise to look at these things now, while they are not a pressing issue☺

YayaOrchid said...

Hello, Diane! It's great that your Parents had the wisdom and foresight to prepare for precisely those types of injuries which require special care. That's what I'm going to have to do for us also.

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya. I deleted twitter. It was too slow and boring and I got tired of it loading up after about 3 minutes. I don't miss it. Hope you are okay. If I don't talk to you prior to M/day. Happy Mother's Day ahead of time. Talk to you later, I got burgers on the stove. TaTa

Renee said...

Hey Grandma have you seen the grandchildren lately?

Love Renee xoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, as a matter of fact, we just got back from SA like an hour ago. Got to hold my precious babies once again. What a treat!!

And how are you doing, dear friend?

Renee said...

Believe me seeing the grandchildren sounds a lot more fun then any old opera.

Love Renee xoxo

Renee said...

Yaya you are my dear dear friend. Thank you for your heartfelt prayer. I feel it and I believe it too.

I want to believe it and I do.

Please Jesus hear Yaya's prayer.

Love Renee xoxo

Tea Time and Roses said...

So happy to hear your sweet mother in law will be fine. Honey and I are approaching an age where these conversations naturally come up for us. Not an easy topic but oh so necessary. You and your sweet family enjoy a lovely weekend!

Smiles...

Beverly

Persuaded said...

came by to wish you a happy mother's day, dear friend♥

are you going to do anything special?

YayaOrchid said...

Beverly, I wish you a very Happy Mother's Day also!

Diane, thank you for your warm wishes and I too wish you a wonderful Mother's Day celebration!

Heather said...

I hope she heals quickly. My parents talk about the same things. . . they have a rambler, but the doors are all narrow. maybe I can help them think about it more this summer when I visit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music