Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, June 29, 2009

For Letter Writing

Lately, I've been trying to keep up with my journal on a daily basis. I sometimes neglect it for months at a time. I came to rationalize that if I had some nice writing tools similar to those used in ancient times, I might be more prone to writing. I do most of my letter writing on the computer, using nice calligraphy fonts. But with a genuine Spencerian dip pen, some ink, and even some little extras along for the experience, it really is nice to write again. You could say that for me, it's bliss and inspiration!

These are just some of the things which grace my desk. Oftentimes it's quite cluttered, but writing tools make for a nice look. And these would be my blown glass pens, which came in the same kit as the small colorful inks. They (the inks) were beautiful sealed in wax. But I had a bear of a time removing the wax coating!

I really liked the boxes the kits come packaged in. All the kits shown here are from the 'Authentic Models' collection. Some I bought at Victorian Trading, others at various web sites. The writing nibs were on clearance, but I really don't yet get the trick to using them. For one, you need an adapter, or a special pen holder. Secondly, I've used several, and I couldn't perceive any real differences in writing. I also like having my old snail fossils on my desk. I love collecting old rocks and arrowheads. I've got a nice collection too. I just like old things!

I needed a holder for my dip pens, so I improvised and used the top of an air diffuser bottle which held wooden reeds. It worked out nicely. Pen holders are somewhat pricey.

I also really like my wax seal. The purpose is to seal a letter with a wax seal which has an initial or a symbol. I think it makes for a very nice touch. Too bad I couldn't get it to work for me. I need to order some special wax. The one I had was old, maybe that's why it didn't work for me.
That does it for this time. May you have a great week!

6 comments:

glorv1 said...

Yaya, that's a very nice set of pens and ink that you have there. The ink I have can be used for the writing like you do, but I've been using it with my painting. I just use a brush. I never did get the hang of caligraphy. My son Val did beautiful illustrations and he loved caligraphy. I just hung a load of clothes and that's it. I am relaxing for the rest of the day and just making hot dogs and opening a can of pork and beans. Too hot too cook. I bet you are still eating meat loaf. Have a great day. Oh yes, the escrow closed and that tidy little sum looks nice in the account but at least 15 percent is going out for federal. The state has been paid and it was a whopper too. Man, they really take your money. It was a rental and that's why we have to pay capital gains tax. Oh well. Take care.

Renee said...

the music is awesome yaya

I love the pens, they are beautiful, you can so write with those.

Love Renee xoxoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, what a productive day you've had!

Renee, thank you for your sweet comment!

Beth said...

I love your pens and inks. Very cool! I love to write - handwrite. I've ignored my journal too. Perhaps it is time to dust it off. Thanks for the inspiration.

Tea Time and Roses said...

What beautiful pens! I too love to write and something pretty to write with is a wonderful motivator.:o) Lovely post.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

Dida said...

OMG...I absolutely luv this set.
I am immensely fond of ink pens, and have been forever planning to get my self a dip set like this.
Its funny that you say, if u have nice writing tools, u will keep up with ur writing habits...:)
I remember the only way my dad made me do maths was to buy me fancy pens, and in the lure of using those pens, I would end up studying... :)
happy writing...
luv
dida

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music