Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Sunday, August 23, 2009

La Canicula

Canicula: An alternative name of the constellation Canis major; Also called the Dog Star. Growing up when people said 'Ya empezo la canicula', meaning 'The canicula has begun', you knew you had to brace yourself for the hottest of days ahead. I guess that's where we get the term 'dog days of Summer'.

As I was sitting in the living room looking out the window, I could see how stressed the plants were in the hot afternoon sun. It also took me back to days in my childhood sitting outside in my Grandmother's garden on days when even the fans did little to cool us. She would hold me in her lap and sweetly sing "barbas de oro, barbas de oro, vente vente." This was her way of praying for those sweet cooling breezes we desperately needed. It's like a little nursery rhyme which means ''golden beard, golden beard, come to us''. It evoked an image of an ancient man with a long gold beard dressed in the whitest vestment imaginable. He was the one who directed the trade winds and breezes to caress our hot weary bodies. As an added blessing he also sent the fluffiest clouds to shade us and the coolest raindrops to soothe our world.

Oh, yes, and I'll soon begin to call barbas de oro myself, as did my Grandmother and her Grandmother before her. This year's Canicula can't be over too soon for me.

12 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
Your story about Canicula is very beautiful. Thank you!

Amy said...

Yaya....I'll send some prayers for cooler weather up on your behalf. We have been given a reprieve the last couple of days. It's been downright fall-like around here. Take care.

Love,
Amy

YayaOrchid said...

Bob, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Amy, thank you so much! You know prayers are always appreciated, :)

glorv1 said...

"barbas de oro, barbas de oro, vente vente." I'm sending you relief.:D
That was very nice yaya. Grandma stories are always welcome. I have a lot of my own. Hope you have a great week,now I have to get ready to go exercise. I had some bad leg cramps last night. I get them real bad when I travel in a car longer than an hour, at night I am in pain. Ayeeeeeeeee!They hurt! Anyway I'll talk to you later. I have to go now, take care.

Renee said...

Yaya, dear friend, I love this story of your grandma. Especially since I just spent the afternoon with Josephine and Domenic.

Blessings to you.

Love Renee xoxo

Tufa Girl said...

What a great story. I love that you passed it on to us all.

Juan Pablo said...

What a beautiful story!!

When I was little, my abuelita would tell me stories just like that!

And thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot right now... adjusting is so hard =[

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I do hope you're feeling better by now. I hope you mention those leg cramps to your Dr. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Renee, I just know you are a terrific Grandmother to your little ones too! Sending hugs to Josephine and Domenic! I love their names! My Mom's name was Josephine!

Tufa Girl, thank you! That's what this is all about, sharing stories and anecdotes!

Juan Pablo, I am so impressed by your candor and your pride in your heritage! You really are like a breath of fresh air!

Renee said...

Special connection with your Mom's name.

Love to you.

Renee xoxo

Dida said...

hello Yaya...very glad to hear from you.
thank you for dropping by and liking my work.
Your description of the summer afternoons made me very nostalgic and really took me back in time.
See u around... :)

luv
dida

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello my friend!

What a beautiful story, just lovely. Grandmothers are very special people. Thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy a beautiful day.

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Dida, thank YOU for stopping by. Hope to hear from you again. :)

Beverly, yes, a Grandmother always leaves a lasting impression. Thank you for your visit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music