Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, August 1, 2009

Citizenship

So I decided to make a couple of changes to my blog. Nothing major, just some colors and fonts. I also finally added a blog description. And I did so to remind myself that I may be a citizen of this country, but I'm just passing through. I am not guaranteed a permanent residency status in this ol' planet. I got to thinking about our nation's obsession with pointing out the cultural differences we have with each other. And one of the ways we inflict our sense of superiority is by focusing on our citizenship status as Americans. "But I'm an American citizen." "They are only illegal or resident aliens at best." Let me clarify, I am proud to be an American. But I always think when I see the struggles of those less fortunate "But for the grace of God, that could be me". I mean, who can help where or to whom they were born? And yes, I do see and understand about the social and financial burden and stress we are under as a nation with the influx of so many undocumented people. That is why we have a responsibility to elect people of wisdom and intellect to solve those issues. I certainly don't have an answer. But it's not acceptable or feasible to allow hatred and prejudice to be the guiding forces in solving these problems. We seem to have forgotten that we are all inhabitants of this world, but that our stay here is temporary. And sadly, the ones beating the drumbeat of intolerance and hatred the loudest are those who call themselves Christian conservatives. That is also ironic. Because our main goal in life should be to exalt and honor our Creator and to follow his teachings.

I would love it if my Grandchildren could grow up in a world where there is no racial prejudice, where people are not judged by their appearance, their ethnic background, or even their socio-economic standing. I would like to believe that there is still hope for that.

Just rambling again, as I am prone to do when I have little to write about.

11 comments:

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya. Hey, it's YOUR blog and you can say and do what you want on your blog. I tend to agree with what you say, we are all just so lucky. I too thank God every day.
Yaya the lilac color looks great and the description of your blog describes it to a T. It looks inviting. Thanks for sharing and have a great Sunday. We just got back from San Joaquin National Cemetary where my son is at. His b/day is on Tuesday and we can't go then, so we went today. Have a great day.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, that is about the nicest comment I could possibly hope for! Thank you! You are such a dear, sweet friend, and I truly appreciate having the priviledge of 'knowing' you and talking to you. Not because you 'agree' with any of what I wrote, just that you didn't use negative rhetoric. Disagreements are also good, but it's important to use good language and dialogue to express ourselves. Your comment just made me feel good, Amiga!

I think it's so great that you commemorate your Son's birthday. And such an honor to have a loved one buried at a national cemetary! Sending you hugs and thinking of you on his upcoming birthday!

Renee said...

You are not rambling Yaya. You are right.

What I was shocked about in this post is that you and I are very similar in many ways.

I also look at the people that are struggling and think 'There but for the grace of God go I.'

Yes one day I pray that it will all come.

Love Renee xoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, I have a pretty good feeling that we are alike in many more ways. We grew up during the same decade, and were influenced by the times (the 70's). I recall you saying once that you don't like mean-ness in people, and I'm the same way. I know it' been really great 'knowing' you as well. :)

Renee said...

Love you. xoxoxo

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya, I'm having the computer problems again. I was watching G/H and then when it was done, I turned off the tv and thought I would take a short nap. I started to doze and then I heard singing and voices in the other room.It scared the heck out of me, so I jumped up and went towards the voices and it was my computer. There was music playing and someone talking like they were on the radio. I immediately tried to do a scan on my computer but it would not allow me to scan. It still hasn't but on the Mcafee it tells me it's okay. I also keep getting pop ups etc. Hopefully I don't have a virus. I'm checking on it right now. Take care.

Tufa Girl said...

Yaya,
As a "white" girl I grew in the Rio Grande Valley with very prejudice parents. I could never understand their point of view. I grew in the culture and it is my own even today.

I too, truly thought we had gotten beyond all that but it seems those who have not want to divide us even more.

(This is my personal blog as I felt I could not post my personal opinions on the Daily View (business) blog.

Cindy

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I'm heading over to your blog now. I didn't realize you had made a comment on this post.

Hi Cindy! So glad you stopped by and thank you for your comment. I'm heading over to check out your blog.

YayaOrchid said...

Cindy, I went to your blog and when I tried to leave a comment I was unable to. You have it set up for embedded comments, and I can never leave a comment on blogs which have it set up that way. I don't even know what that means, but I know that in the settings area there is an option for that.

Tufa Girl said...

Yaya, I have the comment section fixed I hope! Thank you for stopping by. Cindy

YayaOrchid said...

That's great! And thank you. I'll head over to leave my comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music