Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, August 31, 2009

Paper Work

It appears I have acquired another 'hobby', or as my Sweetie would be quick to add "another expense". To which I retort "Well at least I'm not shopping at Saks or Macy's!" And after all, it's the little things that make me happy.

So I've been spending my days playing with my new gadgets and tools. Not many, I'll grant you that. I simply will not allow myself to become so overwhelmed with inventory, that I won't be able to find what I need. So I purchased a little light box, a cheap paper trimmer, and a few more rubber stamps (but only when they're on sale at 50% off). It was bound to happen, you see. Only because several months ago, last year actually, a scrapbook hobby store went out of business. When I saw the signs that everything was 75% off, I became curious and decided to check it out. I even posted about it here. I bought a few things, but then a few days later the final discount came down to 90% off. By then not much was left, but I was able to purchase some papers and ink pads. I saved my little toys, thinking what if someday I get bitten by the 'paper' bug. Mind you, back then I was SO not into scrapping. I had no interest in it whatsoever. But being a woman with a healthy nesting instinct, I just could not pass up such a wonderful opportunity to stockpile items for the "what if's" in life.

And that's precisely what happened. I've been making a few (a very few) cards and tags. I do it because it's fun, and it's an outlet for creativity. I am certainly having fun with it. I know about Etsy and Ebay, and how people like to turn their hobbies into little business ventures. But I'm just not there yet. I could also do it with my love of aprons, and it's something I've thought about, but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit. I'll just take it slow and easy, and see where this takes me.

I think that for me, it's all about learning new things. I suppose I'm still searching for my 'calling'....for my true vocation. Who would've thought that at 51 years of age, I'd still be growing up.

22 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
I'm 61 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up :)

YayaOrchid said...

That's exactly my sentiment about myself, LOL! Thank you Bob!

glorv1 said...

I'm still wrestling with what I want to be as well. Sounds like you are getting into scrapbooking. That should be fun. I'd like to see some of your stuff when you get done with some of your labels, tags, etc. Have fun! Take care.

Lynn said...

I'm always collecting items for a new crafting medium. My family figures I have the supplies for most any craft they wish to dabble in. My daughter-in-law once said she thought she cold just come by here instead of the craft supply store. I love it that I can just go to my closet and pull out the makings of a great new project!

So, go for it with the stamps and stamping supplies. Enjoy creating some awesome pieces and growing your stash of crafting supplies!

Renee said...

I'm with you on the new things, that is what I have fun doing too.

Glad you liked the post.

Love Renee xoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, I'll try and make a post about the stuff I've made. Nothing fancy, just a few items.

Lyn, thank you for stopping by. And thank you for your words of encouragement.

Renee, I surely did enjoy your latest post. It too is about 'things we learned along the way'. :)

Tracy said...

It's all about the love...love of something, the doing, the creating... wonderful post, YaYa! And I think we must always keep growing, always learning--we are never quite done. :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

YayaOrchid said...

Tracy, that's how I see it too. Always learn something, keeps your brain cells happy!

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya. Just stopped by to wish you a Happy September. Enjoy. Now time to clean house:(

YayaOrchid said...

Happy September to you too Gloria! We're having some beautiful weather here!

Renee said...

Loved your post! Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words. Have a wonderful week!

Dida said...

I totally appreciate your spirits for learning new things...
paper craft, it so pretty and color full that too on sale..!!! no one can resist it :)
plz share some stuff that u ve made.
thanks for dropping by and liking the tutorial.
About-making a collage, step 12 is the basic step, like I cropped 1 image , you can crop several images and drag& place on the canvas area.Or first add text and then past images.
I don't know much about Photo shop but it is a much more sophisticated tool, than paint brush and I m sure you have more options to do stuff in that.
I hope I made sense
have a nice day...
dida

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello My Friend!

I am so happy for you! As you know I love paper! How wonderful for you to be able to find all these wonderful supplies at a discount, that is great! Have a wonderful time creating! Enjoy!!:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Dida, thank you so much. I learned so much from your tutorial, and I appreciate your sharing it. :)

Beverly, yes, I'm having fun with paper these days. :)
Have a wonderful day, Beverly!

Renee said...

You are an angel.

Love Renee xoxo

Dida said...

hey Yaya...
I have not used Photoshop a lot, but I have noticed a few of their features matching.You might try Gimp and see if it serves your purpose,else u can always consider PhotoShop :)

Dida

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, happy days to you too! :)

Dida, MexicoBob had suggested Gimp when I posted about the online classes I was taking using Photoshop. I guess I just got comfortable with PS and since I learned in that format, I figured I should buy it. It's expensive, but I'd only consider buying the cheapest version (Elements) which is around $80-90.

Renee said...

xoxoxoxo

Clever Karen said...

I right with you - I never can pass up a good sale on craft supplies! Sounds like you got such a good deal. Have fun playing! Hope you share some picts of your cards.

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Karen! I will try and get some pictures taken sometime soon. :)

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya. I'm cooking collard greens, baked chicken and mashed potatoes. Easy stuff. Hey your blog looks pretty good. Nice job. Talk to you later, have to go get chocolatte, she's out in back in her fenced area.

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Gloria! I've gotta get a new post going, right? MMM.....collard greens! Sounds so good and healthy. Baked chicken sounds good too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music