Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, August 17, 2009

Riverwalk

We're halfway through August and already I'm looking forward to some nice Autumn weather. That won't happen for a while around here, that's for sure. This has been a scorching hot month only worsened by the endless drought. But school starts in a week for the little ones, so I started thinking back on this Summer.

Last month, we were in San Antonio visiting my eldest Son. We took a drive down to the Riverwalk. The thing which stands out in my mind about that little trek was the extreme humidity. Probably not the best day to go to such a muggy, humid place. But the scenery is beautiful, and walking along the busy, tourist filled path is quite an experience. For good eats, we stood in line to get into this restaurant:

But the crowds and the long line made it difficult for our Grandsons. So we headed over to Saltgrass instead. While waiting in line though, we had a good view of the tourist ferries.

Our table at Saltgrass was on ground level, so I stepped outside to take this 'aerial' view of the river.
The little barges just keep going by, sometimes seranading visitors with mariachi music.
The Riverwalk is a beautiful place to visit. However, next time I'd much rather visit in the Fall or Winter. I hear it's also very pretty around Christmas with all the Holiday decorations. One little side note: there is an elevator under one of the bridges which we used to go up to ground level. As you approach, the reeking smell of bat guano almost knocks you out! Ugh! But bats are good. They're good tourist attractions as well. There is another well known bridge in San Antonio and one is Austin which is a tourist mecca for bat 'watching'.
I do recommend a visit to the Riverwalk next time you're in town. There are several nice hotels and a mall right above it. I liked that there are lots of quaint little shops in the area as well.

15 comments:

glorv1 said...

Sounds like a great place to visit. When my son lived in Albuquerque, he spoke of visiting Texas and how they had cafes where you could sit outside next to the water and watch the tourist ferry boats go by. I wonder if it was the same? Glad you had a good time with your family. Have a great Tuesday and the pictures are great.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, it probably was. There are also a lot of cafes, and most of the restaurants also have outdoor tables for those who wish to dine al fresco. It's a great place to whittle away an afternoon.

Amy said...

Beautiful pictures, Yaya. How are the grandbabies? No pics of them :( Glad you had a nice visit despite the humidity (which is just about the worst thing during summer).

Have a good week.

Love,
Amy

Clever Karen said...

Someday I hope to get to San Antonio and visit the Riverwalk. Sounds like a fun place and the I'd love to check out the restaurants.

YayaOrchid said...

Amy, I do have some but they're all with either me or the Hubby in them. I'll try and take some new ones next time we visit. :)

Karen, I think you would enjoy it. There's also a FiestaTexas (SixFlags) and a SeaWorld as well as a small zoo. But the real treats would be the surrounding little towns in the Hill Country. Lots to do there also!

Wool Winder said...

The Riverwalk is an unique part of San Antonio. I'm glad you got to enjoy it, even if it was hot and humid.

Elaine said...

I've heard about San Antonio's River Walk but I've never been. Thanks for sharing the photos....it looks it would be a really nice place to visit....and I love the name of that restaurant you ate at...Saltgrass! Was it good? I bet the River Walk is really gorgeous around Christmas time, and a lot cooler....I'm so ready for cooler weather too! Glad you had a nice time on your little trek....hope you're having a great week and keeping cool!
Elaine :)

YayaOrchid said...

Elaine, thank you! Saltgrass food is very good, it's similar to an Outback restaurant. Love their baked sweet potato!

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear One!

Sounds like a beautiful day!:o) It is so lovely there, all the foliage is so pretty. I love the ferries!:o) I know the grandchildren had a wonderful time.

By the way, how is the photo classes coming along have you completed them all as yet?

Smiles...

Beverly

Juan Pablo said...

I love San Antonio!! I'm going back in December, I can't wait! Glad you enjoyed your time there!

Tracy said...

Hi, YaYa! Loved taking this outing to the Riverwalk with you...what a great day. And it is so lovely by the water there! Happy Days ((HUGS))

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Beverly! Yes, I did finish the online classes. Wish I could take more, but I need to buy the software! (I was using a demo)

JP, if you're going in Dec be sure to visit the Riverwalk. It's supposed to be even more beautiful then.

Tracy, it is a lovely place to visit. Hope you are able to stop by there next time you're in the states.

Keri said...

I loved the Riverwalk when I visited San Antonio. The only problem was that someone stole my grandmother's wallet while we were there. :( But other than that, I enjoyed the food and the ambiance!

YayaOrchid said...

Keri, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit there. Although it is awful what happened to your randmother's wallet.

YayaOrchid said...

OOps! For Kerri, that was supposed to spell 'Grandmother'.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music