Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Thursday, September 3, 2009

Breakfast Sausage ala Owens/Jimmy Dean

Sometime last year, I ran into this delectable recipe for breakfast sausage over at Lisa's blog Homesick Texan. I saved the recipe thinking I'd like to try it sometime. I finally got around to buying the ground pork meat and I mixed up a batch. Overnight, all the wonderful flavors mix up nicely. This is Lisa's recipe:

Breakfast sausage
Ingredients:
2 lbs of ground pork
1 tablespoon of sage
2 teaspoons of marjoram
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Method:1. Mix all ingredients together.2. Form into patties and fry six minutes on each side.
Keeps in the refrigerator for a week.
Note: The spice measurements are not an exact science, and what I tend to do while mixing is pinch off a little bit and fry it up to see if I like the flavor. This is what I start with, but feel free to experiment.

Now, if you know anything about me, it's that I am big on tweaking recipes for my own use. I actually did follow her recipe precisely, and fried up a little bit for tasting. Great recipe, I'll grant you that. But the Mexican in me needs more spice! Since I started out with a little more than 2 lbs of pork, what I ended up doing is doubling most of the ingredients, and even tripling the 'spice' factor amounts. It's to taste, so to speak. I also added a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup for a little more sweetness. I liked it, but I still recommend anyone wanting to make sausage to use Lisa's recipe. My little adaptations would undoubtedly be too spicy for most people. But if you're game, try it! You'll find it's far less expensive to make. I found the pork sausage for around $1 a pound, and the rest of the ingredients I already had. Next time I'll try and post my very own recipe for Mexican chorizo. Can you say spicy?

19 comments:

glorv1 said...

That sounds like my type of dish. Nice and spicy. I love it. I have my dad's recipe for chorizo too.I could taste it. I've always been hooked on hot chile's and lots of spices. As I've gotten older I've noticed that it can affect the tummy somewhat, but that doesn't stop me. Great recipe, thx for sharing yaya.

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
Would this be good for my diet? No nos deja caer en la tentaciĆ³n :)

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, how true! I used to be able to eat a TON of chiles with no problem whatsoever. As I'm getting older, I've noticed I'm using less chile in my cooking as well.

Bob, a little goes a long way! I'm sure a little treat once in a while doesn't hurt. Maybe once or twice a year, like tamales? LOL!

Renee said...

This sounds wonderful! I am really enjoying your blog. Have a wonderful weekend.

Renee said...

The recipe looks delicious, but what I totally love is the new blog set up.

It looks awesome.

Thank you dear friend for the encouraging words.

xoxox

Dida said...

hey Yaya...
ur blog looks wonderful..
i m a vegetarian so probably cannot try the recipe...but i absolutely luv spicy food and make a lot of it.
have a nice day...
dida

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, wishing you a great weekend also!

Renee, thank you for stopping by. You are always very encouraging with your comments as well.

Dida, do you know I used paintbrush to dress up the header? Of course I also used the already made template, but I added a couple of things myself. :)
Thank you so much for your help!

Renee said...

Hello doll, are you going to see the kids this weekend?

xoxoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Renee! I wish! But no, we're staying home for the Labor day weekend. Nothing special planned either. And you? Your little ones live near you, right? Lucky woman!

Threeblindsheep said...

The new layout is so beautiful and inviting! You did a great job.
I have a similar recipe for sausage, but will try this one as my son LOVES spicy dishes.
Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

Hi, YaYa! Oh, but my hubby would love this... I don't eat meat, but he does--LOL! LOVE the new look here--such fun, so pretty! Happy week, YaYa :o)

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Friend!

First let me say I absolutely love the change, so very very pretty! The vintage photos on the side bar are so sweet. What a beautiful difference you have made, just wonderful!

I could not help but smile when I read your post. I love wonderful great tasting sausage! Just Saturday morning Honey and I was reflecting back on this great little corner store that sold handmade sausage. Oh my was it delicious!:o) Lew's market was the name, and it seems we have not been able to find sausage that good!:o) I do love Jimmy Dean spicy and it is a good sausage, but nothing beats homemade.:o) This recipe sounds wonderful, and like you I like it spicy really spicy!:o) Thank you for sharing the recipe and I must try it. How is the paper crafting coming along? By the way happy Labor Day to you too my friend.:o) Enjoy a beautiful week.

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

TBS, thank you for your nice compliment! I sure do hope your little one likes the recipe!:)

Tracy, thank you! I thought it was time for a change. :)

Beverly, howdy! I'm glad my post brought back nice memories for you. It is a very good recipe, and the maple syrup gives it a nice sweetness.

I'll try and post some pics later on of what I've been doing. It's just been a lot of fun!

Keri said...

I love the blog makeover! It's so pretty!!!!!!

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Kerri! The site link is on the top and she's got other very pretty designs.

Elaine said...

YaYa....I love your site makeover...it looks beautiful! The sausage recipe looks good too...Jim loves to do this...I'll have to show this to him. Hope you had a great Labor Day Weekend.
Elaine :)

YayaOrchid said...

Elaine, thank you! It was time for a different look! Speaking of new looks, your new profile picture looks fantastic!

Renee said...

I can't believe you can make your own sausage.

One day I want you and Gloria to cook for me. I will come to either ones house and you guys can cook and I can go from 217 pounds to who knows how much.

I will do the dishes since I can't cook at all.

Love Renee xoxoxo

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, I'm certain Gloria is a much better cook than I. And she is much more health conscious in her cooking choices. I think your weight would be safer with her. ;)

It would be great wouldn't it, to be able to chat across a table instead of across the internet. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music