Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, October 26, 2009

The Face of Courage

Owen left the hospital and went home this past Saturday. He underwent a necessary surgery for craniosynostosis. An excellent site which offers really good information about the condition is CranioKids.  With Owen, it wasn't really very obvious, but if you looked at him from a certain angle, as in from above his head downward, you could see the triangular ridge already forming. If left unchecked, this condition could have become problematic in allowing his brain to grow properly, as well as other health issues, and could have potentially become an obvious deformity. That is why the decision was made to go ahead with the surgery. And so, after months of dreading the surgery date, and knowing what was to come, yet hoping and praying that it would not be necessary, we can finally say the surgery is over and done with. The surgery was performed one week ago today. It is a thing of the past, but every moment and every second leading up to it is still fresh in my mind. Added to that was the sadness we felt when we would see him smile and babble happily, knowing for months in advance what lay in store for him. That was hard to go through also. What I was not prepared for was the extreme angst and pain I would feel at seeing my precious baby Grandson's surgical scar. I can only imagine what his parents, my Son and Daughter In-Law must feel each time they see it.

Her Mother and Sister stayed the whole week to help out with Elias while their parents were in the Hospital with Owen. We traveled up to San Antonio every other day during the week. We too had made arrangements to stay with Elias, but I think it gave my DIL a sense of comfort to have her Mother nearby. So we gracefully allowed her to stay in our place, always with the clear understanding that we were ready to fill in at a moment's notice, always on standby. This is where Families have to be a cohesive unit and in agreement in order to help their loved ones.

I want to include a few pictures of Owen's ordeal on this post. It may be a bit graphic for some to view. I do this in honor of my little one, because he has been so strong and courageous through it all. Perhaps someday someone reading this post can gain insight or strength from knowing how other families cope when faced with a similar situation. It isn't easy, and the journey has just begun, but we have faith in God that this time of healing will pass quickly, and all this will be just a faint memory.

I am so in awe of this little man. He continues to smile, and is slowly becoming the cooing, laughing baby he always was, in spite of the pain and discomfort he must be feeling at times. He turned six months old the day he went home, and his parents bought him a cake and lit candles for a 'half-year' celebration. We were so blessed to be there and be a part of their celebration too. And yesterday when we last saw him, he did seem much improved. It seems every day that passes means he is getting better. These are just a few of the pictures we took:

This is day two after the surgery in ICU: THE FACE OF COURAGE!



This is day three in ICU:



Day Four in ICU, being held by his Mommy



Oh, Lord God, as I write this, you know how much it hurts to see his ordeal, but also, I am so grateful that you brought him through the surgery and he is home with his family, and he is a strong and healthy baby!

It has been hard for all of us, and certainly for our precious Elias as well. He had to be away from his beloved Parents during the past week that they were in the hospital with Owen. For us as adults, it's hard because we know our pain threshholds, and to see such a tiny little baby have to go through this is mind boggling.  I simply cannot begin to fathom this incredible process. It is so hard to find things to be happy about or to laugh or to rejoice about anything. I force myself to smile but inside I am wrought with sadness and pain. And then I remember that as per Scripture, I am to rejoice in all things. I just have been feeling so many emotions, both sadness and joy, sometimes all at once. God knows my weaknesses, and I know my Lord Jesus intercedes on my behalf for my shortcomings. Alas! I am such a weakling. And then I look at this tiny giant of a human being, and I know, it is because God is with him, as God is with all children. When I first saw Owen in ICU, I began to cry, and the nurse said that I didn't need to cry, that Owen was a healthy baby. She kept saying, "he's not sick, you should see some of the other kids we have here in ICU...they're really sick." And I understand that, I know that we have so much to be grateful for. But it doesn't hurt any less to see your loved one in that condition. It's just part of the whole situation. I just have to remember that always after the darkness, the light shines brightly again. And so it will be with these painful days. When they are long gone, we will all smile again and truly appreciate all the wonderul blessings we enjoy and take for granted.

I called my Son today and he says Owen is doing fine, and that he keeps getting better. I know the Lord will continue to minister to him and to strengthen him and to heal him. I have absolute and complete faith in my Savior. We do appreciate all the prayers from everyone. Thank you! I hope this post can be a blessing to someone, somewhere, someday.

Love,

27 comments:

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,

We will pray for little Owen and believe with all our hearts that he will receive God's blessing that he will be healed and we will ask God to throw in a little something extra for Elias as well.

"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."

"And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up."

glorv1 said...

Oh yaya. What an awful thing for a little baby to have to go through. Owen sitting with his parents seems to be handling probably better than we adults could. I'm sorry about this pain and heartache you and your family are going through. As you said, the Lord is with him and I believe that is so. He would not allow this little baby to be on that journey by himself. I will say a prayer for Owen and you and your family. I'm glad he is in the healing process. Take care amiga.

YayaOrchid said...

Bob, it seems my mind has been blank lately. I strive to remember Scripture, and cannot. You have brought up EXACTLY the Scripture I needed at EXACTLY the right time! Thank you so much, dear friend!

Gloria, God bless you! Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry I had not touched base with you. I just could not concentrate on anything for any period of time. I do appreciate your prayers too!

Threeblindsheep said...

YaYa- I understand too well the emotions of watching a child go through something like this (my son's cancer and stroke) I also know the extreme comfort of knowing that He who began a good work in you will complete it-
Sorrow is but for an evening, joy comes in the morning.
How wonderful that your grandson is surrounded by so many loving people who trust in God to watch over them all.
A young family in my church also went through this operation. Their son is an energetic 6 yr old now. He is a delight to all who know him.
You and your family are in my prayers. Blessings-

Sandra said...

Oh my goodness, it breaks my heart to see little ones have to endure this. Will keep everyone in my prayers.

Hugs,
Sandra

FlowerLady said...

Good morning Yaya ~ My heart goes out to you and your family over this ordeal that you've had to go through. Thankfully little Owen is recovering and in time, this will all be a thing of the past.

***

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.


But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
they shall run, and not be weary;
and they shall walk, and not faint.

***

Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

Wool Winder said...

I can tell this is still a very difficult time for you. I pray that the days ahead will be easier. Take comfort in the fact that when Owen grows up, he will have no memory of this surgery.

YayaOrchid said...

TBS, thank you for your words of encouragement. It is our faith in God which has been a great help in these times.

Sandra, every single prayer is very much appreciated!

FlowerLady, your words of encouragement mean so much. But above all, I cherish the Scriptures you provide. For some reason my mind cannot recall them easily right now, but reading them is a source of strength for me.

Traci, yes this is still hard, but I'm certain there are much better days ahead. And I do take comfort in hoping that he won't recall the surgery. Thank you!

Tracy said...

What a brave little boy... My heart goes out to Owen and you & your family YaYa during this tough time. I know your faith will be your greatest comfort and guide. I hope Owen will continue to make a good recovery. Love & Prayers :o) ((HUGS))

Renee said...

I am so glad to hear that Owen is doing so well! My heart goes out for you all and I'm sending prayers too.

YayaOrchid said...

Tracy, yes thank you, all prayers very appreciated!

Renee, thank you also and for your prayers as well!

Heather said...

blessings to Owen and for all of you. may his recovery from the surgery be easy.

Tufa Girl said...

Prayers to you and yours, Yaya. All will be well very soon.

YayaOrchid said...

Heather and TufaGirl, thank you so much for your prayers and your kind words. I spoke with my Son today, and he says he's doing quite well! Music to my ears!

Dida said...

hello Yaya...
My prayers and good wishes are with Owen,you and your family...
And good to know he's doing well...in no time he'll be at his best.

dida

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you Dida! He had his first visit to the Dr. today and it was all good news! Praise the Lord!

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Friend,

It amazes me just how brave the little ones can be. Our God is so good and He has promise to always be there when we call and as you know He is never short on His promises. To know little Owen is doing well is simply wonderful!:o) I will keep this precious little one in my prayers.

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you dear Beverly! I appreciate that!

glorv1 said...

Just popped in to see how your grandson is doing. Hope he is doing better and you too. Take care.

By the way, have you looked at dida's picture on your follower's list lately? It doesn't look like her.

lifeshighway said...

My prayers for you, your family and little Owen.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, thank you! Yes, we are doing much better!

Thanks for the heads up, I actually had NOT noticed! I checked on your blog and your followers list also has it.

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you so much lifeshighway! I appreciate that!

Dida said...

hey Yaya...
yes it was me..
i tried to edit picture on my GMAIL account, and never realized it will edit my blogger picture.!!!now i have changed it back.
thank you so much for checking with me. I appreciate it.

I hope Owen is feeling better.

dida

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Dida, no problem! Just wanted to know for sure if it was you.

Yes, I believe he is doing much better! Thank you for your prayers!

Amy said...

Yaya....it doesn't get easier....the worry and all. My mom once told me that instead of the worry lessening as I grew up, she just had more people to worry about :) Your prayers will be answered....the little man will heal. You get some rest...it's exhausting to be in your shoes.

Love,
Amy

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you so much Amy! I am happy to report that I've been told he's doing a lot better now! Yea! for prayers!

glorv1 said...

Yaya, make some tamales for dia de los muertos, or menudo, or chilaquiles, or mole, or tacos and I promise you'll feel a little better. Little Grandbaby is in the healing process and now you have to get your feet on the ground be strong. Remember we are only here for a short time, be happy, hard as it may be right now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music