Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, October 12, 2009

Gorgeous Day!

Today once again we've been blessed with a beautiful cloudy day which started out with a soft drizzle of rain. Outside, I remembered how beautiful my Abuelita's garden always looked, especially after some rain. Two plants which always remind me of her garden:


Gomphrena or 'globe amaranth' always made me happy as a child just looking at the bright cheerful color.



And of course her gorgeous cockscomb or Celosia Cristata. She simply called it 'mano de leon' which means lion hand. As a child I loved feeling the silky velvet texture. I was fortunate to have found one plant at the nursery which I promptly snatched up as soon as I saw it. My sweetie planted it for me today. No Holiday for him, he had to go in to work today. I so appreciate all the sweet things he does for me.

Now if only I can nurture this plant to grow as beautiful as the ones my Abuelita had in her jardin. Just remembering her and the things she loved is enough for me. That is why I always say that I come from a long line of gardeners. I hope my Sons and Grandchildren have inherited this love of all things green.....but sadly I have yet to see any proof of that. But there's always hope. I didn't discover my love for gardening until I was about 22 years old.

Note to self: White Easter lilies like buelita's

Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead!

19 comments:

glorv1 said...

Hi yaya, those are beautiful plant in your garden. Be sure to let me know when to plant the seeds epazote so that next year I will have some. My friend Robin is mailing me out some Giant marigold seeds and they are big. It is always so nice to think of Grandma's. I've been thinking of Chorizo because Wednesday it is 2 years she has been gone. It's like yesterday. Oh I answered you question on my blog about what I'm doing today, but I copied it and there it is down there.

Hi yaya. I'm baking bread today. Butternut squash bread. I went to exercise earlier, stopped at MID (modesto irrigation) to pay our electricity, went to Savemart (grocers) to pick up some yeast and a couple of things, went to the deli to pick up some rice bowls for my esposo so that he can take them to work during the week, came home, washing and drying clothes, and now I'm just made the dough and it is rising. I now have to go clean the mess I made when making the dough. I'm very messy when I bake. I don't dare take a picture of it. I think I'll copy this and take it with me so that I can read your new post and then when I comment, I'll paste this on your comment section so that the question you asked, "And how has your day been?" will be answered. Whew! that was a lot to say. :DDDD

Amy said...

Yaya...did you know that you can hang the stem of the cockscomb upside down over a paper bag and collect the seeds for next year? I have done this and then you will always have this most beautiful flower in your garden. My mom still talks about the cockscomb that grew in her garden through the years. Yours is just beautiful...have a sweet evening.

Love,
Amy

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,
The Celosia Cristata is a very prominent flower in the Día de los Muertos activities here. Besides Mano de León it is called Cresta de Gallo.

Sharon said...

Beautiful, beautiful flowers. Sigh, so much prettier than the snow currently covering the ground in my garden.

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria and Bob: Those pictures are not of my garden, I got them off the net. I'm afraid I didn't take a pic of the celosia I purchased. It's kinda small and puny.

Amy, I sure hope my plant grows large enough to produce seed. If it does I will surely save some, because they're not very available at the nurseries around here.

Sharon, oh my goodness! SNOW?! What a difference from here!

Tracy said...

Such gorgeous, sizzling colors...LOVE the floral delight here today, YaYa... these are terrific photos--that top one is especially charming! I was a late bloomer with gardening too, so I know what you mean. I didn't start any real gardening until I was in my early-mid 20's, though I've always, always loved flowers. Happy week, my friend :o)

Renee said...

Such beautiful flowers and memories! Thanks for stopping by.

YayaOrchid said...

Traci, happy week to you too amiga!

Renee, glad you stopped by! :)

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello my friend!

How beautiful are these flowers, simply gorgeous! Your blog is always a sweet and wonderful place to visit. I hope you are having a most beautiful week. Chat with soon.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Beverly, that too is so sweet! Thank you!

Renee said...

Yaya these were lovely memories. Thank you dear friend for sharing them.

xoxox

Gloria said...

A lovely and loving tribute to your grandmother, it brought tears to my eyes. I never knew any of my grandparents and so it was lovely to share in yours, even for a short moment. Thanks Yaya . . the colours of the flowers are superb. Have a great Saturday. . and Yaya, I have posted some photos on my blog this morning which I think you will enjoy:)

YayaOrchid said...

Renee, thank you for your always sweet comments!

Gloria, and thank you for your comments also. I will certainly be visiting your blog again, as I think it's a lovely gem!

Eva Gallant said...

Beautiful photos of flowers, yaya! I hope you will stop by my blog...I hav e had lots of pictures on it lately!

YayaOrchid said...

Eva, thank you so much for stopping by! I will most certainly head over for a visit!

Keri said...

Beautiful pictures, Yaya! I love the first one especially!

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you Keri!

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello my friend!

Stopping by to say hello and wish you and your family a most beautiful week.

Smiles...

Beverly

Renee said...

Come over darling I'm having a giveaway.

xoxox

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music