Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Comfort

Beautiful and cold and drizzly- my favorite type of weather. It makes you want to nestle up with a good book or a warm knitting project sitting next to a fire. And when you get hungry, you just want something simple and delicious- comfort food. We slept in this morning, so my day is rather lagging in things I must do, but I did get around to preparing some hearty beef stroganoff at my little one's request.

photo courtesy of Taste of Home

It turned out very good, as per his compliments. That indeed makes me happy.

Trying to tie up any loose ends before the year ends. I've got a book review to post next week about this book:




I am looking forward to fulfilling that commitment. I've also been trying to steal away some time to read this little booklet I purchased at the supermarket while I was grocery shopping



I glanced through it briefly and knew right away that this was truly a tool for any Parent, whether your children are infants or full grown adults. I think in this journey we make, it's sometimes difficult to know just how to carry out one of the most important responsibilities- that of knowing how to guide and teach our little ones as they embark on their own journey. Above all, even if your parenting skills are abysmal, the one thing that will cover all your shortcomings will be prayer. But knowing how or when to pray is also at the core of the matter. From looking at this book, I believe I will be empowered to know how. I thank the Lord for leading me to it. I truly wish I'd found it years ago, especially during my Sons' formative years. But it's never to late too pray for anyone. The prayers in the book are simple, very simple, but they cover exactly what I wish I'd known to pray about. I especially like that it includes Scriptures- the better to meditate on what you learned. I very heartily recommend it. And no, I'm not doing a review of it per se. It's just one of those little gems you discover along the way and feel you simply must share.

Well, now I'm off to enjoy a plate of the stroganoff. I was taking a rest while my Son enjoyed it. I actually had to make a trip to the store to get the sour cream and mushrooms. I had everything else, but when he said he wanted stroganoff, you can bet this Abuelita was going to get the ingredients, even if it meant a trip to the store in cold, drizzly weather. My Sweetie will be stopping by soon for some coffee and dinner, but then he goes back to work.

For New Year's, it will probably just be my Sweetie and I, so I don't plan on making anything elaborate. I want to keep it simple. Some sandwiches, chips and dips should carry us through nicely. We'll pop a bottle of bubbly, and toast the New Year sitting by the fire. Just like last year, listening to the firecrackers exploding all around. Those are the plans, if it's God's will that we should greet the New Year.

Love,

5 comments:

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Idalia!

Oh my what a lovely post. Don't you just love when one of the little ones request something special. As you said we do all when can to make it happen, and to see them enjoy it is a joy indeed.:o) When our little grand daughter visits she loves grand pa's macaroni salad. I mean she loves it!:o) And her grand pa usually has it ready and waiting for her arrival.:o)

There is nothing like the power of prayer. I often tell my dear sweet daughter...there is no woman on earth more powerful than a woman of prayer, it truly changes things.:o) And I am so happy to know that even in those times when we do not know what to pray, the Holy Spirit makes intercession for us, how wonderful. Idalia like you, I love Him so much. Who knew you would find something so wonderful while simply grocery shopping:o) He knows exactly what we need and how to bring the two together. Again thank you my friend for this beautiful and inspiring post. Happy New Year to you and your sweet family my friend.

Smiles...

Beverly

Amy said...

Dear Yaya...I have read The Power of A Praying Wife, so I think any of Stormie's books are worthwhile. I agree with Beverly, the power of a praying woman is something to behold. I am so thankful for my gift of salvation and all the benefits of my faith, including the belief in prayer. Happy New Year, dear friend.

Love,
Amy

Gloria said...

Beef stroganoff looks great yaya. Your New Years plans sound great. We will do the same, just us two. I pray every day, but I wish to pray more meaninful. That will be important for me for the coming year. Happy New Year!

Georgina said...

Your New Years plan sounds wonderful. I'll be babysitting my menudo for tomorrow's all-day meal and perhaps get out a bit to friends for a drink or two of wine then home again. Have a great evening and enjoy the fireworks...both in and outside...ay, I'm so bad!!! LOL

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Beverly, thank you so much for your visit and your always sweet comments. Wishing you the best always!

Amy, likewise! Happy New Year!

Gloria, Hope you do all your plan to do in the coming year.

Georgina, Menudo sounds so good for New Year's. Should be cold, so it'll be perfect. Have a great time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music