Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Sunday, December 27, 2009

Plans

The more time I spend visiting blogs, the more I learn and am inspired. I visited FlowerLady's blog and just in sitting quietly looking at her photos, I had an impulse to just want to go back to the way I was before I injured my shoulder. For over a year I have used the excuse of the surgery to defend the neglect to which my garden has fallen. I have allowed so many of my potted plants to suffer, some even perishing. Even my beautiful expensive koi suffered, for they are all gone now. I was never outside on a daily basis looking to their needs. My Sweetie fed them and cleaned their filters, but perhaps had I been more hands on in checking them daily, I would have seen that something was wrong and could have prevented their demise. Whatever ailment struck them, took them ALL within a week.

So for the New Year, I had already purposed that the pond should be taken down, torn apart, the timbers used for garden beds. Yet I know in my heart of hearts that the fish had been a constant source of comfort and joy for the past ten years. Can I really say goodbye to keeping koi again? I'll have to think on that one a bit more. One of the reasons I had decided we should not get into keeping koi again was because my Sweetie is the one who did all the hard work, cleaning out the pond, the filters, and general maintenance. I didn't think it fair to have him doing that. But he always said he didn't mind and that he also enjoyed having the fish. The thing is, to ensure that any harmful pathogens are not lurking from the previous batch, it would mean buying everything new again, especially the liner and filters. I don't see that as being a viable option right now. So perhaps someday we can start fresh, but it will be a while. How's that for a New Year's resolution?

But what I can do is look to getting my gardens in tip top shape again. I've got a good compost pile and lots of good potting soil as well as clean pots. I can become more involved again. Plant new seedlings as well as cuttings. I feel so revved up, I feel I can do anything! LOL! If I can just keep my eye on the prize, which is to once again have a garden and take pictures like FlowerLady, I just might pull it off.

Love,

6 comments:

Tufa Girl said...

Things happen for a reason and we accept these changes even if we do not yet understand. Not that we should let life pass us by but we are to find a new pass that will test us in new ways. It is not easy to let go but sometimes we must.

You have grown in so many ways this year Yaya. You have forgotten how talented you are - give yourself some credit too.

YayaOrchid said...

So true, Cindy. After I wrote this post I thought I also realized that I HAD TO take care of my arm. I could not risk it getting hurt again, and then going back to step one with therapy,healing, etc. So yes, some things suffered, but my health was more important.

FlowerLady said...

Dear Yaya ~ My blog was an inspiration, that is great! I know exactly what you mean about neglecting your garden, as I've done the same thing at different times. Once we get over the slump, whether it's an illness, or stress, or some other thing keeping us from our gardens, we will find ourselves once again enjoying and working in our gardens as we did in the past.

The other day I was down in the dumps for no particular reason, and I went outside and started weeding, trimming, etc. and before I knew it a couple of hours had gone by, and I felt so much better. I told DH later, I know what part of my problem was, I've not been out in my gardens for a little over two months. I had had a nasty cold/flu bug that lasted 4-5 weeks, then I badly strained my right knee moving, rolling, a heavy, huge terra cotta pot myself, instead of asking DH for help. I was out of commission with that for about 4 more weeks. Some things croaked because of neglect, lack of water, whatever.

Each day is new, a gift from our heavenly Father. May we grow in his Grace, Peace and Love, moment to moment. He is our strength when we are weak, He is the author and finisher of our faith. Our hope is in Him.

To me, working in the gardens is healing, mentally, physically and spiritually.

Have a great week, caring for your gardens. I'm sure things will be looking better soon, and you'll be taking pictures for us all to enjoy.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

YayaOrchid said...

FlowerLady, thank you! You've made me feel better- the baker's dozen, so to speak, :)

I did feel as though I was the only person who would do that to her garden: neglect. But after I thought about it, I realized it was either the garden or risk hurting my arm again. So I think I made the choice that was necessary. Thank you for your beautiful kind words. Words which lift up and edify!

Gloria said...

Glad you feel better. People's words do help. It won't be long before you are back in your garden and then you'll be saying it's too much work, like I do. :) Have a great week.

Renee said...

Maybe your garden for now dear Yaya, and more Koi in the future.

xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music