Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Monday, December 28, 2009

Staying Warm and Cozy



Photo courtesy of Sandra's blog

I've found so many delicious recipes over at Sandra's food blog Full Bellies, Happy Kids that today I just had to make one of them. Her Garlic Chicken Drummettes I just know will be a keeper. It's in the oven as I type--I know, I know, a very late lunch-- and since I wanted to have this typed up and posted, I 'borrowed' her photo of the dish. I will also make my usual herbed baked potato wedges and a side of steamed corn. I can tell you the whole house smells wonderful! I suspect there won't be any leftovers! That's fine, because I still have Chicken Mole and rice from yesterday's dinner. We can heat that up in a jiffy. My youngest Son is home, and he keeps me on my toes as far as cooking. He misses home cooked meals, so I'm only very happy to oblige. Last night he was mentioning some of his favorite meals, and trying to remember others. Think that's his way of dropping hints? Well, I've got a whole list of things I know I'll be cooking before he leaves. It's wonderful when your children motivate you.

And in other news, I received my order of green coffee beans.



For a very long time I've been wanting to try home roasting, but with home roasting machines being very expensive, I had to settle for the whole roasted beans we buy and grind at home. But all along I knew there was much better coffee than what I was drinking. I became aware of it the day I had coffee at a coffee shop in San Antonio which roasted their coffee fresh. There are no words to describe how wonderful that cofffee tasted! And then I came across Jayme's blog Tales From The Coop and her post that I'm thinking will forever change my life as I know it. Jayme you see found a way to roast coffee using a very inexpensive contraption:



And once again I was inspired by someone's blog to try something different. So off I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond so I could use my 20% off coupon and purchased my very own Genuine Whirly Pop- a manual popcorn popper. The only thing left to do was select the type of coffee I wanted and that is easily done online. We like our coffee strong, so we always use a French Roast. The types of beans recommended for the French roast were these:






Isn't it amazing how different they look from the coffee we're so used to seeing? But these aren't the only kinds of beans you can use for a French roast. You can probably come up with your own flavor combinations. It's just a matter of finding what you like. That's why I ordered this sampler of three different green beans. Jayme, by the way, also lists a few other resources and web sites you can visit for more information on home roasting. Turns out you can also roast coffee using an electric popcorn air popper. In any case, roasting is best done outside, because a lot of smoke and debris is generated. I probably won't get around to the roasting until after New Year's Day. I would think there is a learning curve to this, and I need to be focused. I also still have more reading up on it to learn how to do it right. But I can hardly wait to give it a whirl- no pun intended. So until next time, I'm just trying to stay warm and cozy. We're supposed to get some colder weather with rain tomorrow. More great nesting weather!

Love,

7 comments:

Keri said...

It looks like you are being very adventurous with your activities, Yaya! I think food blogs would be good for me. I'll have to find some good ones.

Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

Sandra said...

I hope you enjoy it and you're more than welcome to use any of my food blog pics :)

Hugs,
Sandra

Bob Mrotek said...

Abuelita Yaya,

I can see you hosting a television show like Martha Stewart only better. You could show us how to cook and how to roast coffee and how to sew and lots of other stuff. You are a very talented lady. Move over Giada De Laurentiis and Rachael Ray!

YayaOrchid said...

Aww Bob! You say the nicest things! But honestly, I just write because I want to leave a record of my thoughts and moods, and the things which made me happy or sad. I don't feel that I could be a very good teacher. I just learned from nice folks like you to have fun with what I do.

Gloria said...

I was just about to go to bed and noticed you had posted so I thought I better get over here and see that delish food. Wow, that looks so good, I could smell it from here. Wow!! All those coffee beans. I love coffee beans. How great that you are going to be roasting your own. I've never tried that and wow, your home is going to smell so so so great! You go girl. Have fun and it looks like you are ready to start the new year with a bang. Happy New Year and be happy.

Clever Karen said...

I'm a tea drinker myself, but roasting your own coffee sounds like fun!

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, the article says that the roasting doesn't smell so good. It may smell burned. I still want to try it though. Happy New Year to you too!

Karen, I love tea as well, but coffee is just a necessary drink around here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music