Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another Good Site


About a month ago I signed up with a search and win website which can earn you digital dollars called swagbucks- good for buying gift cards or prizes. I was a bit leery at first, and my first impression was that it was mainly a 'youth' oriented application. The site is called Swagbucks and basically to find all the tricks and tips of the site you also visit their facebook page. Like most online forums, the site has the resident 'guides' who will slap you silly if you happen to ask redundant questions- which by the way everyone has to in order to learn. Well it turns out they much prefer if you read the FAQ's before you venture into their territory. In the end, as you read more, you do actually learn a few things to help you along the way. When I saw and experienced firsthand just how rude these tech saavy young people could be, I impulsively decided it wasn't worth it to stay on as a member. Later, in my imminent wisdom, I decided to give the site a second chance. I downloaded the toolbar, which is useful because it is there that the head honcho known as TSG or The Swagbucks Guy and his lady friend TSGal- who by the way are they who must be thanked for their great generosity- will place codes for which announcements are made.....which in turn generate a flurry of activity on the fan page--and the hunt is on! I pity the poor soul who dares to ask for the code, because you see one must work for these codes by going through the steps to find and sometimes even decipher words or letters. All in all a lot of fun, and a good way to waste away a few minutes for that elusive swagbuck. Thankfully, those swagbucks really do slowly but surely start adding up if only by doing searches.

Well, it also turns out that our fine TSG is also a very fine individual, because just as an example around Christmas he encouraged the fan base to donate some of their swagbucks to a Children's hospital charity. His latest effort I find altogether very altruistic and noteworthy. Since the disaster in Haiti occurred, he has been leading yet another effort for donations not only of swagbucks, as well as providing helpful links and information where donations can be made. The website also featured celebrity singer Wycleff Jean who is from Haiti by showcasing his utube videos since he is also leading an effort to collect donations. I had never heard of him before, but after seeing his performance in the Norway ceremony to award President Obama the Nobel Peace Prize, I came to see that he is a very talented musician. And so, my point is that this web site has earned my respect. Even now, the main title of the Facebook Fan page as well as the Home page is encouraging everyone to do all they can to help the people of Haiti.

With all this I became satisfied with my decision to stay with Swagbucks. It is a corner of cyberspace inhabited by fine young men and women who are very conscious of the world around them, and want to make the world a better place. Of course there are also the occasional old fuddy duddies like moi who join up.

I usually like to pass along info regarding positive online experiences. I think Swagbucks qualifies as such. I also placed a swidget on the sidebar, so for anyone interested in signing up, hopefully you will use it. That in turn would give me a few 'referral' points. Now that would just make me giddy with glee!

P.S. I should probably add this disclaimer; I know there will be a concern about viruses, as this site is also visited by a lot of spammers. However, like anywhere you visit on cyberspace, do not click on any links provided by the posters unless you know them. Also, I have been told that some of the links for which you can sign up for special offers have been known to spread bugs- but it is only those which are for the video games. All the other sites are well known and reputable. As to the virus I picked up recently on my computer, I have reason to believe it was from an email well before I frequented Swagbucks.

Love,

9 comments:

Gloria said...

Hi yaya. Sounds like you are having fun cyber hopping. Enjoy but be careful. Sounds like a fun site. I don't cyber hop like I used to, I've run across too much and have encountered a virus or two in the process, so I stick pretty close to home now. What are you going to do with the swag bucks? What can you buy? Have a great weekend.

YayaOrchid said...

I'm going to buy $5 amazon gift cards. Either that or Pay Pal gift cards....or donate for the relief effort. But I think real cash as in from our cell phone is better.

YayaOrchid said...

I meant that donating money from your cell phone is the best way to donate to the relief effort.

Sandra said...

I've heard about this site before, but I'm so apprehensive about sites like this, though now that you explained it a bit more I may go take another look :)

Tea Time and Roses said...

Hello Dear Idalia!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. I had not heard of this site before and will certainly check it out.:o) Bloggers sharing with bloggers, now thats a good thing.:o) Enjoy a lovely week my friend.

Smiles...

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Beverly, congratulations on your Anniversary!

Jayme, The Coop Keeper said...

Yaya, just wanted to thank you for all the nice comments on my blog! Please remember that I have OCD and adjust your schedule accordingly!

Tracy said...

Wow, I'd not heard about this site either--sounds very interesting and fun! I'm often cautious about such things too, but it's great when you hear about what really works and is worthwhile. Thanks, YaYa... Happy Day! :o)

YayaOrchid said...

Jayme, your blog is very inspirational to me. I love your sense of humor!

Tracy, thanks. That's why I posted about it. I like to share about sites I find to be helpful or useful. And this one does work. I've already racked up 127 swagbucks, in less than a month. So it doesn't hurt to just let the points add up as you do searches the way you normally do. As an example, 1 $5 dollar giftcard costs 45 swagbucks. So I'll soon have enough for 3 cards (value $15). they do add up over time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music