Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, January 8, 2010

Nice Weather for Soup

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I 'tweaked' my own recipe today. While frying the sausage, and because it was so lean and sticking to the pot, I added about a Tbs of bacon drippings that I had saved from breakfast. It gave it a nice but very subtle flavor.~

We got down to the mid 30's today,which is such a rarety around these parts. But it was also a good excuse for having soup. I made my version of Olive Garden's "Tuscan Soup", which is much like a creamy potato chowder soup. It's made with Italian sausage, but I've also made it with regular breakfast sausage and I think it tastes better that way. Like any soup, after you fry up your meats, just add the flavorful components: finely diced onions and garlic, celery, green peppers, then add about a TB of flour and sort of 'brown' that into a roux, add your stock, in this case chicken stock, and your veggies. I also add baked potatoes because they supply a really nice unique flavor to the soup. For this pot I added 4 medium baked potatoes roughly chopped up.




If you want to layer more flavor, I usually add about a cup of of wine (whatever you've got on hand; I like to add white wine, but today I only had red wine on hand so I used that) and about two cups of whipping cream. Note: Wine is very much an optional addition.


For adjusting the seasoning I like to add Knorr chicken bouillon- that and maybe some dried parsley, thyme, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. I also season the sausage while it's browning with those same herbs.



At the end just add your kale and/or spinach and let the pot simmer for about 10 minutes.




Serve with some crusty French bread and be sure to add lots of grated parmesan cheese like they do at Olive Garden. And if you like heat, add more red pepper flakes!

Love,

8 comments:

seemommysew said...

this sounds soooo yummy! I need to get the ingredents for this!

Gloria said...

Good soup for a cold day. It's cold over here today as well. Hope you enjoyed your soup.

YayaOrchid said...

Hey, Gloria! Yes, came out very good. Supposed to be colder tomorrow.

Renee said...

This sounds wonderful! Just perfect for a cold day.

Georgina said...

Yummy!!! I love soup too on cold days. Our weather is getting back to normal, in the 50's-lower 60's, but it's still cold enough to make a pot of soup, especially "caldo de res."

For breakfast today, we're having menudo...froze many bags of it after the New Year's menudo fest here at my house!!

Have a great weekend.

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Georginna, Menudo is excellent for this time of year! Last time I made it I also had several bags in the freezer. We enjoyed them later on. I'm sure I'll be making some again soon. Thanks for stopping by!

Suzanne said...

This looks fantastic, I am going to try it this week. It's been so cold here in San Miguel that I've been huddled next to the little propane heater with a pot of soup going each day. I found your blog through our mutual friend Mexico Bob. Thanks for the recipe and the photos of how to make it.

Suzanne

www.livinginsanmiguel.wordpress.com

Bom said...

Hello. I came across your blog while researching orchids and your linkin (?) had a link to this post. My wife loves her soup and so I thought I would check yours out. Serendipitous? It sounds like very good soul food/homey food and I will share this with her. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music