Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Baking Love

Today I awoke to a chilly, drizzly day. As for me, I love days like this. The misty rain stopped early though. I am grateful for any amount of rainfall. I know it's good for our garden. And so all day I have been indoors, puttering inside the house.

Then for an early dinner I made a meatloaf chock full of veggies, with a side of baked potato and green beans. Meatloaf for me is a perfect opportunity to use up as much of the herbs and spices in the pantry before they go stale. So I add a little bit of everything-- thyme, marjoram, parsley, chervil,  savory, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, even ground up juniper berries (a wonderful aroma) and of course a good dose of curry powder...... oh yes, and salt and pepper. After shaping the loaf I add a sprinkling of worcestershire sauce and a layer of tomato ketchup. Finally some strips of bacon on top and in the oven it goes for about an hour and a half.

I started thinking early in the day that meatloaf would go really nice with some home baked bread. Since the weather got me in the mood for baking the timing was great. Once I get started mixing up a batch of dough I am reminded that this is my first love of all things creative. It just feels so good to play with masa (dough)! I decided to make some short baguettes. In Mexican culture they are called 'bolillos'. As I understand it, the recipe is one of the many left from the time of the French occupation in Mexico. I just know they're good! Mine aren't nearly as perfectly shaped as a bakery one would be:




And good they were! Love the way the kitchen smells when I bake bread! It's like you step inside the house and the aroma is the first thing you notice- makes you want a slice slathered with butter! I'm just going to have to get in the habit of baking more often. And you know what else is so wonderful? I know exactly what ingredients went into the making of it. Only flour, yeast, water, and salt. The sesame seeds are optional and they're good for you too. Big reason to make your own!

11 comments:

Keri said...

Those rolls look DEEE licious! They definitely look bakery worthy to me!

I can just smell them now!

Bob Mrotek said...

Yaya,

When I saw your photos I swear I could actually smell the bread. I am dying with envy...and I miss my Ma's meatloaf...sniff :(

Gloria said...

I love baking bread too. The house is filled with the beautiful aromas the breat puts out. Looks great. I make those quite often in winter like you. They are delish! Thx for sharing.

Georgina said...

O my, I can just imagine the scents coming out of your magical kitchen!! I had a bolio yesterday for lunch. I buy the authentic ones at a little shop few miles from my house, plus I purchased "espongas" in pink!! My downfall is bread, good bread. If you were to put a piece of luscious, silky chocolate layered cake and a piece of warm, crusty, buttered bread, I'd take the bread every time!! LOL

Thanks so much for your inspirational blogs....you are a blessing in the blog world!

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Keri, thanks! I love to bake!

Bob, have you tried making a meatloaf? I'll bet Gina would love it if you made it for her.

Hi, Gloria! Yep, this is the time of year to take advantage of firing up the oven in chilly weather.

Georginna, there are so many different kinds of Mexican sweet breads with such funny names too! And so delicious! but I still prefer just bread with butter! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

tea time and roses said...

Hello Dear Idalia!

Oh my goodness my mouth is watering!!:o) I love meatloaf, I mean love it!! I can imagine how wonderful it must have been with all those yummy herbs and spices. How I wish you and I live much closer. We could spend some wonderful evenings crafting and cooking!:o)

Your bread is amazing. I have yet to make homemade bread, so delicious! As you said, the smell of homemade bread baking in the oven is heavenly. What a lovely post Idalia. Thanks for sharing!

Smiles...

Beverly

Home Grain Mills said...

Wow, I've never been able to get rolls to turn out like that... I can do bread loaves and dinner rolls, but those look incredible!! I'll have to try it again this weekend... thanks :)

Amy said...

Hi Yaya....your rolls look so good...my mouth is watering. I need to get back to baking. Have a good weekend.

Love,
Amy

YayaOrchid said...

Hi, Beverly! Hope you do give breadmaking a try. It's very relaxing, that's half the goodness of it. The other half is the eating part. :)

HomeGrainMills, I merely used the King Arthur Flour recipe for baguettes, but instead of dividing for two baguettes, divided into 8 pieces and shaped into the 'bolillo' shape.

Hi, Amy, long time no see! Glad you stopped by. You have a great weekend too!

Renee said...

Oh my ~ they look delicious!

Lady Prism said...

LOVELY! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music