Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tribute To Servicemen and Their Spouses


I really got to thinking about the sacrifices that our men and women in the armed forces and their spouses make day in and day out after reading Kim's last blog entry. With this being Veteran's Day, I felt it important to write myself a reminder of sorts that there is so much I take for granted, like the liberties and privileges we enjoy in our country because of those serving in the military.


I'm pretty certain Kim doesn't remember me, but I met her about two years ago at a yarn shop where she worked before she moved out of state. At the time she and her Husband and children lived in a military base there in San Antonio. Kim is someone who I'll never forget, because she gave me a wonderful gift: she taught me how to spin fiber on a drop spindle. For a brief few minutes, she took time out of her busy schedule to sit down with me and show me how to manipulate fiber to make a single ply of yarn. From there, my love of spinning was born. She is an accomplished knitter- I've seen photos of her beautiful knit items in her blog, and I wanted to see what she was up to and what gorgeous new creations she had made. I paid a visit her blog.  A lot has been going on in her life.

As I read about the difficulties and challenges she faces while her Husband is deployed, I was able to see that for those of us who live in this country as civilians, our daily struggles pale in comparison. In her blog post, she wasn't trying to solicit sympathy or be a hero, she was merely sharing in a few paragraphs what her days have been like. As the spouse of a Serviceman who is away serving his country, she has to be the problem solver and the strong one for her babies. That coupled with the fact that she has to maintain the family unit without family nearby is just something I can't even imagine I could do. Yet thousands of men and women like her have to do just that in these difficult times. And then I think about her Husband, who must surely have the angst of worrying about his family all while being in constant danger himself.

I pray their little boy gets better, that the family stays intact and blessed, and that the Lord continue to give her strength and courage. And I pray that her Husband soon returns safe to his family. I pray that these wars and conflicts end quickly, so that our men and women who serve can return as well to their families. May the Lord bless them all. May the Lord hear our prayers!



 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music