Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Baking Sort of Day

I was in a baking mood today. Spurred by my desire to save a little money, or rather a lot of money I had been spending on my favorite crackers at the grocery store. I'm referring to those very thin little Australian crackers made with parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper, similar to water crackers. I just felt that paying more than $5 for a little box was a bit much. That coupled with my cheese of choice- brie- could add up to a pretty penny. I figured I could try and bake my own, or something similar at least.


Well, I did find a recipe which I hoped would replicate the little crackers I was so smitten with. My efforts produced a delightful but almost breadlike product. Not at all like the one pictured on the fresh365 photo. But I am to blame for that of course. Simply put, I veered from the recipe, as I am prone to do when I follow recipes, by tweaking it and adding semolina flour instead of the whole wheat flour as well as Pace picante sauce and some extra herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and some chives. But realy I think it was the picante sauce that contributed to the far different results.

The picante sauce added texture and color to the dough.

Adding the extra cracked peppercorns.

Fresh out of the oven. They do taste good!

And well, since I already had the oven fired up, why not bake some yummy chicken pot pies, only in empanada shape. From Lucinda Scala Quinn's book "Mad Hungry".

This recipe I did follow to the letter! (Well, at least where the pie crust is concerned)



I pretty much made the filling the same, except I also added a little bit of chopped green peppers and some peas. Also added some fresh finely diced garlic and some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. I don't think Lucinda would mind my little tweaks.

And that was my baking for today. I love the way the house smells right now. Wish I could bottle the fragrance!

6 comments:

Georgina said...

Looks sooo yummy!! Nothing wrong with tweaking recipes. I think many of us "seasoned" bakers, cooks, etc. are notorious for doing that!! LOL You've inspired me to make one of my favorite breads, "French Gruyere" bread. Years ago, I used to make it when living in Germany, but when I returned home, it wasn't the same...it turned out flat and was just awful, but I persevered and found high altitude flour. The loaves came out lovely and so delish. However, the stores stopped supplying that type of flour, never attempting to make that bread again, but the other day, I was at WalMart and there it was, in all it's yellow bag glory!! So bought it with a chunk of Gruyere and will be making it this week...can't wait!

Have a great week and keep on creating.

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Now you've got me wanting to make your Gruyere bread Georgina! Soy bien antojada, LOL! Must get your recipe!

Just Writing said...

These look so yummy! I wish I was in your kitchen right now.

YayaOrchid said...

JW, thank you for your comment. Love comments!

Gloria said...

Those crackers look really great and the empanadas I have been want to make for a while, the traditional way...with pumpkin. Yum. Thanks for sharing. Your blog looks great!

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Gloria!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music