Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, January 1, 2011

Of Hopes and Goals

First day of the New Year makes most people reflect on their plans for the future. Some call them resolutions, but I think that puts an awful lot of pressure on the psyche. To me a resolution somehow entails controlling those things which really are beyond our grasp- such as the unforeseen or unpredictable. And up until now, I made it a  point never to make any. Call it the fear of failure if you will. So instead, I prefer to call them 'doable goals'.


And mine are simple: love more, walk more, eat healthier, and learn to spin fiber. To get started on learning to spin, we made a trip to the Dallas area early in December. My Sweetie took me to purchase this beauty:


Isn't she a beauty? She's a double treadle Lendrum spinning wheel. And I think I'll call her Susie.


The previous owner, a lady who I met at the Kid'n Ewe Fiber Festival back in November, was very nice about giving me all the attachments and even fiber for me to work with, plus a lesson in her home. All for a very reasonable price which is why we made the rather long trip. Learning to spin on my own is a different story. I still have not learned, but then I've been short on time to practice due to all the Holiday preparations  I was busy with. But I intend to keep trying until I do learn.

I've been walking as usual, but there are days when before I know it it's dark outside, so instead I exercise on my stationary Power Rider exercise machine. It works if the weather gets rainy also. I'm just trying to keep myself moving.  I must! Got to burn off those tamales I made and enjoyed for Christmas. And that spicy menudo as well as 'air bunuelos' or rosettes I made for New Year's Eve '. And today's chicken and dumplings that I made for my little one and which I enjoyed with some roasted beets, potatoes, and chayote actually propelled me to take off on my walk. If it sounds like I'm eating less than healthy, I will agree. I only make menudo once a year, and tamales maybe once every couple of years- and usually for the Holiday celebrations. I wanted to prepare foods which remind us of of our Mexican traditions. But we do try to practice portion control, regardless of the type of food. So now that the celebrations are over, onward to healthy eating, exercise, and just good thoughts and love for our fellow man. And above all, draw closer to the Lord. Through whatever God has for us in the future, I say again "Have a little faith".

8 comments:

Georgina said...

I can't wait to see what you will do with the fibre you spin...perhaps a wonderful shawl?? Like you, I too want to continue our Mexican traditions, but I stop with tamales, only because they intimidate me. I would love to learn how to make the Sonoran white corn tamales that I grew up with, but alas, the secret will go with my mother...I recall helping her as a child and yikes, so much work!! So we get them in Tucson when we are on our way to Phoenix to visit my sis.

I also made Rosettes, but for Christmas. Have a lovely week, Yaya and keep up the good health regimen..I too have to do the same if I intend to be present at my grandson's college graduations!!

xxoo,
Georgina

Gloria said...

I thought I had left a comment, but my mind has been so raffled lately, if that's a word. I like that spinner you got, have fun. I came by yesterday to let you know you were one of the winner's in my giveaway, but I don't have your address. I'm not sure what I did with the envelope I received with the card. If you could email me your address, I'd appreciate. thanks and congrat!

Prieta said...

Yaya - I like to knit and wish I knew how to spin my own yarn but I think that would be too hard for me.

Also, I forgot to make buñuelos for New Year! How could I? Well, I spent New Year's Eve by myself and it was so cold that the only thing I thought of making was ponche calientito con piquete. Your post reminded me of buñuelos - I'm going to make them this week.
Have fun with your new toy!

YayaOrchid said...

Georgina, I do hope you find a recipe for those tamales! Remember, alot of the old traditions are being lost, so it's up to us to find a way to pass them on. Hope you have a wonderful week and it must be wonderful to have a Grandson who will be graduating from college. Congratulations!

Gloria, wow, thank you! I'll shoot you an email in just a bit. And thanks for stopping by!

Prieta, I only know how to spin fiber with a drop spindle, but the wheel is more difficult. I hope you make those bunuelos and enjoy them! Have a wonderful week!

Gloria said...

Where did you get the power rider Yaya? I may look into that myself. Let me know please. Thanks

YayaOrchid said...

Gloria, we've had for years! We bought it through one of those infommercials when it came out about ten years ago. I had forgotten about it and had it in the garage. But I'm glad we brought it in again. I see they have them on ebay too. It really does give you a good workout, especially on your upper arms.

sweetlife said...

Thanks for stopping by Yaya, I love your blog and it is always nice to meet another Texan, I love your new spinning wheel , I am sure you will master it and find great happiness in your new projects, I also ate my weight in tamales this year, but we only make them once a year, I did not get around to bunelos, but enjoy alot of ponche! Take care and nice to meet you!
sweetlife

YayaOrchid said...

Sweetlife, thank you for stopping by! So nice to have a fellow Texan visit. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music