Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January Lessons


I am enjoying a hibernation of sorts- to a certain degree self imposed. There is something so nice about hunkering down when it's frigid cold outside. As I sat enjoying a cup of coffee with my beloved earlier today, I had an epiphany and was reminded gently by the Spirit of that beautiful Scripture "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." ~Romans 8:28.
I was feeling rather useless and impotent because on one of the first days of the new year as I was getting ready to drink my nice strong and piping hot coffee, I somehow made an unexplainable jerky movement which sent my mug flying through the air and the boiling hot elixir all over my recently healed from surgical scars belly. One area in particular has second degree burns, with a huge blister that only recently  burst open. That is the area under the bandage. The rest were just first degree burns, with a few in my thigh. But  when it happened, all I could think about was the setback in time and the decreased ability to perform so many of the goals I had set for myself. And so as the days have progressed I have been focused on the burn healing-which has seemed like an eternity to me.

I wasn't even sure I should post about this. I mean it wasn't that long ago, three years ago this past September that I tripped and fell causing a torn rotator cuff for which I had to undergo shoulder surgery. The down time during that injury in fact was what prompted me to begin blogging. All because I wasn't careful about walking around in the dark at full speed. I promised myself I would thereafter be very cautious in every movement and with every step that I took. So I already felt silly enough for that injury. And now this- knowing full well that any time you are around fire or hot liquids much care must be taken.What is even more amusing except that it isn't funny at all is that I received this same injury from a whole boiling pot of coffee when I was about four years old! That incident I can barely remember, but fortunately the burns were on my back, and I clearly remember my sweet Abuelita nursing me back to health. My Mother was in a sanatorium at the time- during the early 1960's when people were forcibly sent to sanatoriums if they suffered from TB. That was a lifetime ago, but it does seem like only yesterday.

I decided to blog about this injury because it can happen to anyone. I don't blame the contraption itself, because it performs exactly the way I want it to- it heats up to a boiling point for an exquisite pot of coffee just the way I like it. The pot itself is made for making expresso coffee, but I just use regular freshly ground coffee beans. Here for viewing is an example of the culprit:
Makes the best coffee ever! Just make sure you are careful about your movements when you sit down to enjoy it. That's all I'm saying.

But I digress. I mentioned an epiphany earlier didn't I? I got to thinking how this incident forced me to slow down again. I realized it felt much like being a cocoon just patiently waiting for that beautiful butterfly to emerge. And as I looked out the the window I could see the leaves on the trees blowing in the cold January air, burnished with beautiful rust and golden hues and on the brink of falling to the ground in a cycle of life and death. Likewise, I am waiting for my Savior to finish a good work in me, and whatever parts of me must suffer, I will consider it a blessing, and I will rejoice as that is what my life manual teaches me: And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. ~Romans 5: 3-5 So I know all this is not for naught. There is a purpose to all things especially when it involves God's people. Praise God for his everlasting goodness!

7 comments:

Georgina said...

Oh my, I have used my espresso maker many times and never had any trouble, but thank you for the heads up, unfortunately, you had to experience this mishap.

As for slowing down, nothing wrong with that...obviously, your creative mind is still at work just from reading your post and that's something big to rejoice!1

Take care of yourself and be still while you heal.

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Thank you Georgina! Just taking it one day at a time.

Gloria said...

I don't have an espresso coffee maker. I have always wanted one though. I am going today to this restuarant shop where they sell dishes, and other stuff to look at them. I know they have them. My husband and I for safety reasons decided to switch to the plastic glasses they have in restuarants. We have been dropping glasses, breaking this, breaking that and now the glasses we have are very thin type glass and should we drop one, we will never be able to pick up all the tiny fragments, so we are playing it safe. I'll put aways the glassy stuff for when company comes, if company comes, tee hee. I hope you heal fast, burning oneself really hurts. Take care of yourself and thx for the b/wish. Take care and have a great weekend.

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Gloria! I'm glad you stopped by. :)

tea time and roses said...

Hello Dear Idalia,

I am so sorry to hear of your accident, and pray for a speedy recovery.

Winter's chills do indeed have a way of keeping one indoors, but that can certainly be a good thing.:o)

Happy weekend to you dear friend.

Smiles♥

Beverly

sweetlife said...

So sorry to hear about your accident, I have the exact model and my hubby is always telling me"be careful!" I hope you feel better soon, take care

sweetlife

Jamie H said...

I would sue the coffee maker company for making their coffee makers too hot. Just kidding!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music