Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Saturday, January 22, 2011

Looking For Mr. Inspiration

Hobby Lobby's 40% off coupon ended today, so I made a dash to the store and snagged one of the first edition copies left of Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt. The book has gone to a second printing, so I was lucky to get this one. Can I just say it's a gorgeous book? It is!



It includes full size patterns too. The inside is just eye candy for any sewing enthusiast. The projects are so pretty and feminine, and the embellishments really catch the eye.


Love these skirts!

The author was on this morning's PBS segment of Sewing with Nancy, where she demonstrated a few of her jackets. Beautiful garments made of silk fabric- utterly beautiful! I am so in awe of people like her who have a focus and who excel at their art. I wonder if that's the secret to being accomplished at anything? Stick with one thing and do it well?

I'm hoping this book will get me motivated and inspired to start sewing again. Something happened to me, and I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to just do what I love to do. Perhaps it's because my interests are so broad, I don't really have a niche. However, I can't just say I will only sew, or I will only knit, or I will stick to spinning or embroidery. I love doing all the things I have learned to do. It's the getting started that has become a bit of a challenge for me. I suspect I'm just overwhelmed. Much like if you go to the grocery store without a shopping list, and you stand there wondering, what should I cook for dinner, what should I buy to make dinner? The problem is I am still finding things I want to learn to do, still reading about other crafts and things that interest me. I need to streamline my planning and organizational thought processes. Does anyone out there ever feel this way? Like you're trying to find your way back to who you are, to what you love to do? What are the things which help you to focus on your craft or hobby?

I'm going to spend some time just savoring this book, try to really inhale the knowledge and art in it. We'll see what comes of it.

2 comments:

Georgina said...

I think you're doing the right thing...just read and focus on what you love...sewing. I know what you're talking about not having any kind of niche. When I graduated from college back in '05, I had majored in art with a discipline in ceramics, but I didn't have the all the tools necessary to continue on with that...have my potter's wheel and slab roller and even a kiln, but no place to put the kiln.

So I remembered what this advisor told us at a parent's weekend at A&M when my son was attending there...he told his students to do something they really enjoyed...loved...passionate about...for me it was pottery, dolls, Christmas ornaments, books, music. So I combined the clay to the dolls and Christmas ornies, listen to music in the studio, kitchen, wherever and read, read, read. Hence, I came home to what I love.

Have a great week, mi amiga.

Abrazos,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

I really do LOVE your advice Georgina! Sounds like you also have a ton of crafting and artistic interests. Not a bad thing, IMHO. Just as long as we're having fun, is what I think.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music