Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Lesser Of Two Evils


The joy and beauty of Spring is all around me. And with my newfound energy I have been spending my days outdoors enjoying my garden and what's left of the plants after the Winter freeze. And, dare I say, I've actually been doing a bit of gardening after almost four years of neglecting to do so (since my shoulder injury and surgery).


And just when I thought things couldn't get better, our huge oak tree began releasing its cargo of pollen into the air. Thinking myself immune, because just recently the ash trees had little effect on me when they  did their yearly renewal  dance, I joyfully sniffed the roses which have begun to bloom. And so it is that I'm again confined indoors, Kleenex boxes in every room, with my trusty Vick's jar to soothe my nose and lips. But I say, it could be worse. Suffering from red, itchy, watery eyes and a swollen red nose is not the worst that could befall me. I should know. So may I say, this is indeed a blessing. At the very least, it's the lesser of two evils. Any other ailment would be greater, I think. That is why, I am grateful for this uncomfortable 'inconvenience'. Because although I long to be outside enjoying the cheerful chatter of the Martins and the antics of the hummingbirds which have begun to visit the nectar feeders, I know that soon this shall pass and hopefully sooner rather than later I can resume my outdoor activities. Meantime, I'll watch the beautifully bright red cardinals from the window and listen to the soft cooing of the white wing and ring neck doves from the comfort of our couch. There is indeed much to be grateful for!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This winter in Michigan was so long, and so brutal, that the only thing in the garden is only dirt ,no birds yet either only children on their bikes not caring that it feels like winter because the calander says spring!

YayaOrchid said...

Anonymous, all we can do is hope for better days ahead. Where I live it is currently 85F. Hope you get some warm weather soon.

Gloria said...

Hi yaya. Good to see you post. You've changed the look of your blog. I like it. It's great that you're able to get outside now. It's raining over here and another storm with winds is expected later today. Enjoy your outdoors time. Take care.

Georgina said...

I hear ya!!! I actually went and bought some new herbs and seeds for my spring gardening. I lost most of my plants during our 3 day sub-0 weather in Feb. and am looking forward to replacing them soon.

As for my alergies, well, they're not as pleasant as gardening, but as long as I can still sneeze, I'm alright!! LOL Have a great week.

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Hey Gloria! Good to hear from you too! Oh, how I wish we could get some rain and storms like you'll! We're needing rain!

Georginna, same here with wanting to replace lost plants. But I've got really severe allergies, so indoors I must stay for a while.

tea time and roses said...

Hello Idalia,

I am so happy to hear you are enjoying your garden once again, and certainly happy to hear about your new found energy!!:o) I can imagine how good you feel, absolutely wonderful! Continue to enjoy your time in the garden. Happy spring to you dear friend.

Smiles♥

Beverly

YayaOrchid said...

Dear sweet Beverly, always a joy to hear from you! Happy Spring to you too!

Tufa Girl said...

Spring is a wonderful thing. The Ash trees do me in and then the Huisache. Although, I may not see many Huisache trees here in FW. These days a have a 12 allergy pill that gets me through it all. Spring is very brief here so I do not want to miss a minute of it. Happy Spring to you, Yaya.

Tufa Girl said...

Oh, I forgot... I love your new blog layout!

YayaOrchid said...

TufaGirl, what pill is that? I've been taking prescription Allegra; thinking of switching to Zyrtec. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Springtime!

Emanuele Dal Canto said...

http://emanueledalcanto.blogspot.com/

Que Fregados said...

Great new blog layout!! It is easier for visitors to maneuver :)

YayaOrchid said...

QueFregados, thank you! I'm glad you like it, :)

Turi said...

Hello..!! congratulation for your blog is very fine, come back in my blog http://www.youturi.blogspot.com

sweetlife said...

glad your able to garden, spring is wonderful..but I understand the pollen..can be a nuisance, take care

sweetlife

tea time and roses said...

Hello Idalia,

Happy Easter to you and your sweet family. Enjoy a beautiful and joy filled weekend. Blessings to you dear friend.

Smiles♥

Beverly

maría cecilia said...

Hola Yaya (qué nombre más lindo!), encantada de conocerte. Bueno, el tema de las alergias no es menor, aún siguen siendo difíciles de tratar, qué lástima que haya cosas en la naturaleza que nos dañen!!
Te escribiré un mail para contarte cómo hago con mis rosas.
muchos cariños

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music