Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Friday, August 19, 2011

Celebrating One Year Since Surgery

Tuesday was the one year year anniversary of my bariatric surgery. I was feeling a little adventurous, and wanted to 'commemorate' the date by doing a mini makeover. So off I went to the beauty salon for a change of hair color. I'm still not used to the drastic change, so I'm thinking I should have done this gradually. What was I thinking? Anyway, it's done, no turning back. I mean I can change it, but I am not crazy about the idea of exposing my skin to all those chemicals again so soon after the double color process I underwent. I was told I should wait before changing it again. So here's the new hair look- oh, but wait, I should probably mention that I also have been celebrating the weight loss. I mean, isn't that what this whole journey has been about? So far I've lost 119 lbs! I am still not at my target weight, in fact, I have about 30 more pounds to go, and it's going slow. But slow is good. I'm in no hurry. I just know that it has been worth it- every moment of angst and discomfort was worth this newly found feeling that I'm going to be alright.  The Lord has been good to me and has seen me through the long days of before and after.


And just to illustrate the changes I've gone through, here are just a couple of before









and after pics:



The before photos were taken on August 12, 2010, just 4 days before the surgery. The after photos were taken I believe back in May or June of this year. I've since lost just a little bit more weight. I had hoped to have reached my target goal, which is why I hadn't shared any photos before here on this chronicle. But it's all good. And now for the hair color photos:





Quite a drastic change I daresay. It's taking me some time to get used to that haircolor. I will likely be changing it up again. I'm thinking maybe red haircolor? Oh, I'm having fun with this aren't I?

All right, I know I sound trivial and light hearted, yet perhaps in the next post I can share more 'serious' things about this journey. I didn't embark on it for my looks. I didn't set out with the thought that I wanted to do a makeover or change my image. NOT AT ALL. A million thoughts have gone through my mind in the past year, and I'm hoping to be able to share what it has all meant to me. Life can be tough. But we have to look around us for strength and inspiration to get through those hard spots. The best advise I can give myself or anyone: just trust in the Lord with all your heart.

18 comments:

Gloria said...

Congratulations. I'm glad the procedure worked for you. I have never colored my hair blond, bright red yes. Some day I may. I like red, and I may be doing that some time in the near future. Well not red, but reddish auburn. Continued progress to you. Take care.

Lauren said...

Hi
I'm a new follower, my name is Lauren. Congratulations on your year! I bet you have learned so much about your own self on this journey. I'm so glad to meet you, and look forward to more.

YayaOrchid said...

Thanks Gloria! And I think auburn red hair will look nice on you.

Lauren, thank you! I'll be checking out your blog. I'll reciprocate the follow. :)

FlowerLady said...

Dear Yaya, I am so proud of you. I know you must feel a lot better. You look wonderful.

I 'was' a brunette, and did color my hair for awhile with redder tones as more silver grew in, but I did NOT like the chemcials cooking on my head, so I quit. I've quite a bit of silver these days, and have gotten used to it.

Love and hugs to you,

FlowerLady

Georgina said...

How wonderful! As for the hair colour, "you go, girl!" It's really liberating and wonderful to get to a certain age and finally be comfortable with who you are and what you want in your life.

Congratulations!

xxoo,
Georgina

Elaine said...

You look so cute with the new haircolor....of course the auburn would look cute too. Looks like you're enjoying yourself :)...... fun to change things up sometimes, isn't it? Congratulations, my friend on your weightloss. What an incredible accomplishment!

Elaine :)

Clever Karen said...

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your progress on your journey!

Amy said...

Hi Yaya,
You look wonderful. You are a strong woman to go through that surgery. I like the blond...and would like to see the auburn too. Have a blessed week.
Love,
Amy

Prieta said...

OMG Yaya, I love your new look! Congratulations for your weight loss, I'm so proud of you. I whish I can loose some weight, god knows I need to. You look great but, most importantly is that you feel great! Take care.

Sue said...

You are beautiful!!!!

tea time and roses said...

A Big Congratulations To You Dear Idalia!! What an accomplishment my friend! I love the blond hair color, and oh my what a lovely face! Again, congratulations to you!!

Smiles♥

Beverly

Dotchi Latham said...

WOW! You look great! Congrats on the weight loss :)

YayaOrchid said...

I feel so blessed for having all of your comments and visits. Thank you for stopping by.

Que Fregados said...

You were beautiful before and definitely now!! What a transformation. Congratulations - you are an inspiration :).

YayaOrchid said...

QF, thank you!

Erin said...

Amazing journey you are on!!!!

YayaOrchid said...

Erin thank you for stopping by. :)

Dreena M. Tischler said...

I realize I am commenting late on this particular post -- it's because I just found it! Anyway, congratulations on your truly amazing weight loss.

I love your blog. I think you are definitely leaving a legacy for your grandsons.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music