Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8~

FOLLOW


Sunday, February 5, 2012

Plain Sandwich Bread

We've been having such wonderful cool weather. Cool weather makes me feel cozy and happy. Perfect state of mind for baking bread. And wouldn't you know it, because I posted a photo of my bread on Facebook, a fellow bloggie friend requested the recipe. Well, that was enough to get me in blog writing mode. So thank you Jayme for inspiring me to get off my blah non-writing mode and into sharing and creating mode again!

First a glimpse of the bread:


I have to first add that this recipe is 46 years old! It was given to me by my then Third Grade Teacher, Mrs. Copeland. If not for this dear sweet woman and excellent Teacher I might never have started on my journey of bread baking- indeed on my love of bread! She gave us all her beloved recipe in a simple index card after sharing with us a slice of freshly baked bread. All these years I have hung on to this recipe, yet only until recently have I actually used it. I think I had forgotten I had it! What makes this recipe unique is that it does not contain any measured amounts of flour, you simply add flour as 'needed'. In my particular climate and humidity I generally use seven cups of flour, but what I think makes it so precious is that there is no set rule. The amount may change in whatever environment you may be, and that's ok.

Old and battered, but oh so precious to me:



And so without further ado, here is the recipe, which is enough for two loaves. I will share it here in the style Mrs. Copeland wrote it. For the yeast, because nowadays most people use the powdered yeast, I adapted it to be 2 1/2 teaspoons of regular Fleishman's yeast. Enjoy!

HOMEMADE BREAD

2 cakes yeast, 2 t sugar and 1/3 c warm water in a small bowl.

In a large bowl put 2 eggs, 1/2 c sugar, 2 c warm water, 2 t salt, 3 T oil. Add yeast to these ingredients. Add flour to make a batter and beat well. Now add flour to make a dough. Put on the dough board and knead until smooth. Put in oiled pan to rise. When it is double punch down and let rise again. Now punch down and shape into rolls or loaves. Put in greased pan and let rise until double. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes.

(I divide the dough in half for two loaves)

6 comments:

Jayme, The Coop Keeper said...

Thank you! Old handwritten recipes are so precious - evoking so many memories when baking. I just love it.

Georgina said...

I love old recipes. I have an old recipe for empanadas from one of my mother's dearest friend who is now with the angels. Her daughter and I are also dear friends and we both want to attempt to make them together since they are a bit time intensive and looks like we'll need some extra help.

I too love bread-making. Many years ago, my dad bought a bread stone which I still use to this day...he loved my home-baked bread.

Thanks for the recipe and I'll have to try it and see how it "weathers," here in the desert Southwest.

xxoo,
Georgina

YayaOrchid said...

Jayme, hope you decide to make it. Let me know if it works for you.

Georginna, I am so happy to hear from you! I know I've been absent from my blog for a while. You know, here it's really dry and desert like, I think. I think you'll like this bread. It's soft like store bought. Have a wonderful week my friend!

YayaOrchid said...

Georginna, I meant it's dry and desert like here where I live. When I read it the comment sounded like I was saying the bread was dry and desert like, LOL!

Gloria said...

Oh that bread looks awesome. What a great recipe and how neat that you still have it. Now I feel like bread baking, although I did make some bread a week or so ago. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

YayaOrchid said...

Hi Gloria! Thank you for stopping by! Hope you do bake some more bread. Would love to see your pics of it. Have a great week Amiga!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Music